Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Busy, but not bad

"Busy but not bad."  That's been my response for much of this week (and some of last) when asked how things are going at work.  Everyone is back on campus now, finalizing things for Spring semester, checking off the final requirements for graduation, and figuring out what to do when this fun time called college is over.  Since I get to work with all of our students, this means a particularly busy time for me. 

That said, I am really focusing these days on being patient, content, and thankful.  I am thankful for my job and all of the work that it entails.  My to-do list really encourages me to be productive and I'm glad for that.  A large part of the reason I chose to work in student affairs is to be a resource to students and faculty and I really enjoy that opportunity. 

That doesn't mean that things don't get crazy sometimes. 

"4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."  Phillipians 4:4-8

Bryce is one of the most calm and patient people that I have ever met in my life.  He reminds me a lot of this verse and really encourages me to live it out. 

The fact of the matter is - no matter what my circumstances are, this is the day the Lord has made and I'll rejoice in it.  I will choose to not be stressed over things that I can't control and will work hard to do well at the things for which I am responsible. 

This is not natural.  My nature is to worry and to be anxious.  Remembering this verse and being confident in God's grace, faithfulness, and sovereignty allow me to overcome this nature.  Praise God that the old has gone and the new is here. (2 Corinthians 5:17)

What a relief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)