Monday, April 29, 2013

Lessons from an overgrown yard

We are first time home owners and we do not yet own a lawn mower.  I'll just start there, because that is really what instigated this little learning experience to begin with.  But it's spring and grass is growing all around us.  And recently, the grass (and weeds) in our yard could be said to have been slightly out of control.

And it was driving me crazy.

And I don't have a picture of it, because it was ugly and I couldn't even think of taking a picture because I could only think of having it cut and not having a lawn mower and needing a lawn mower and being willing to pay [almost] anything for it or for some willing teenager to cut it for us.

Only I didn't say this very plainly to the hubs.  Instead I complained a little about it and asked a few times over and over again about buying a lawn mower.  And as he always does, my sweet and thoughtful husband began to do his research.  He began a quest to find the best deal on the most reliable, good for our yard lawn mower.

In the meantime, I was just going crazy.  And I didn't care about his research.  And because I only asked about the lawn mower and never told him how I felt about the current state of the yard, he didn't know that.

And then I finally couldn't stand it anymore and told him pretty straight forwardly how much the grass was annoying me.  I was annoyed when I looked at it, when I thought about it, and when I saw him doing anything on the computer other than deciding on a lawn mower to buy.  Within 5 minutes, he had a lawn mower (which he borrowed from our neighbor) and was cutting the grass.

And in that moment, I was reminded that I really have the best husband in the world.  Don't get me wrong, I realize I'm biased and this might seem like a strange way to be reminded of this, but in that moment, I all of a sudden was reminded that he really cares about making me happy.  As soon as I let him know how badly I wanted the grass cut that day (more so than having the best lawn mower that day), he immediately took care of it.  Second, I was reminded of how much he cares about making wise decisions in even the small things.  There are lawn mowers for sale all over the place, but he is consistently helping us be good stewards of our resources by learning about things that we need and determining the best thing for us in any given situation.  This has helped us be more responsible with our finances and has helped us be more thoughtful in the things that we fill our home with.

It was a silly way to be reminded of this, but I'm certainly happy to have been.  I really love that man.

*Disclaimer:  All of this happened in the course of one Saturday.  I realize the story makes it sound really dramatic and drawn out.  That's only because as it was happening, it felt like a big deal to me.  In hindsight, it was totally a tiny thing.  We had a really great day that day.

And I really do love our yard...and these beautiful pink flowers that are blossoming near the porch:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)