Wednesday, July 24, 2013

DIY Ribbon Necklace

I've been seeing all sorts of cute things on pinterest and around the blogging world recently and it's been causing me to have a craft bug.  We've been doing projects around the house, which I'm happy about and happy to see done, but I've been really wanting to make something fun, that I will enjoy, but that I can easily scrap if it doesn't turn out.  [Trying to be realistic here...]

I've been trying to learn a little bit about jewelry making since statement necklaces are all around and my consisted of a whopping 1, which was a hand me down.  I found this tutorial which seemed simple enough, so I finally grabbed the 40% off coupon and went to Michael's.

And this was the result:

Love it!
And the best part?  It was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!!  I used a strand of satin ribbon that I already had and a 24" chain, which I cut with pliers to be 16" since I wanted the other 8" of chain for another project and I knew that the ribbon would add extra length in the back anyway.  

I think the key here is choosing a chain with links big enough for ribbon and choosing ribbon big enough to fill the links, but small enough to work with.  

Once you've got that, simply string the ribbon through the first link and tie a knot. 


You'll want to use that first link to start your weaving, or it will appear empty.  [The knot doesn't count as using that link.

Next, just weave the ribbon through all the links of the chain.  Over, under, over, under.  Like I said, so easy.


Once you reach the end, you'll want to tie another knot to keep the chain from falling when you wear it, but that's it.  Love it.  Can't wait to wear it out.  


Happy crafting!

Linked up here, here, here, here, here. here, here, and here!
(Be sure to check out these link parties for lots of fun inspiration!)

Follow on Bloglovin



2 comments:

  1. Very cute necklace, I like simple pieces like this! Found your post on Somewhat Simple :)

    Our readers would also enjoy this post, stop on over to our SUPER SUNDAY link party, live through Tuesday evening!

    Lori
    Who Needs A Cape? (Not Your Average Super Moms!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! I actually wore this necklace today. Just linked up to Super Sunday and I'm looking forward to taking a peak at the other fun links there!
      :)

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)