Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Chocolate chip pizza goodness

Whenever anyone asks me about having a sweet tooth, I'm always quick to let them know that I don't have just one sweet tooth - all my teeth are sweet.  And chocolate is a friend of mine.  I recently found this link for chocolate chip pizza that claimed to be just like Pizza Inn's.   It seemed simple enough so I wanted to give it a try.

The ingredients seemed simple enough:  thin pizza crust, a stick of butter, 9 oz box of Jiffy yellow cake mix and chocolate chips.  
Easy enough, right?
 Instructions:
1. Place 1 Pillsbury THIN crust pizza on a rectangular cookie sheet
2. Melt one stick of butter and mix with one 9-oz. box of Jiffy yellow cake mix
3. Spread evenly over pizza crust
4. Sprinkle with chocolate chips
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 11-15 minutes


The picture above is from the first time I tried to make this (yes, I've made it twice now) and I'm not sure what the deal was, but you can see the cake mix didn't really cover the crust and it tasted okay, but because it was spread so thin, the cake was a little dry for my liking and there was a big area of crust around the edge.  Again, okay, but I could have done without it.  


While not the best, the first try did make me hopeful to figure it out, so I made it again.  Except that I used 2 boxes of cake mix.  It was delicious.  So yummy.  Still not perfect though, because there was so much cake mix, the cake ended up cooking a little over the end of the pan and caused quite the sizzle in the oven once the cake hit the oven racks and the clean up wasn't the best.  But still, this second pizza was delish.  I will definitely continue to tweak this recipe until I get it JUST right.  

Are there any restaurant imitation recipes that you like?  What are your favorites?

Updated:  For the crust, I am most likely to make my own these days since I almost always have the ingredients for that in my pantry.  Click here for the recipe that I use for pizza crust.  

This post is linked up here, here, here, & here,.

Disclaimer:  not the healthiest recipe in the book, by a long shot.  

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)