Friday, July 12, 2013

One man's trash is another man's treasure

What a true statement.  I always love finding treasures that other people have discarded and making them into something new - whether it's at thrift stores, recycling drop offs, or even dumpsters.  And while we don't make a habit of dumpster diving, we have found some pretty neat things near the recycling/dumpster drop offs in the different apartment complexes we've lived in.  [Our coffee table, the coffee table in our garage waiting to be refinished, our TV table, my nightstand, etc.]  A while back, we found these adorable little glass jars by recycling:


       

And so, I snatched them up.  There were 5 of them, all in great shape and while I wasn't immediately sure what I was going to do with them, I just loved the shape of them and I really don't think you can go wrong with glass jars and vases.  Worst case, I would toss them back in the recycle bin, right? 

Since they're glass, they're dishwasher safe, so the first thing I did was to wash them out.  I knew that I wanted to paint them, but didn't want them to be too plain, so I grabbed some puffy paint and with a friend, we decided on these simple, polka-dot lines all around the vase.  On one of the vases, we used a sharpie to draw the lines first, and on the other, we just added the paint free-handed.  


Once the paint had dried thoroughly, I sprayed both of the vases with Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray paint in Satin Ivory.  I knew I didn't want them to be bright white, but also wasn't sure about the house we would be moving into, so I thought ivory was a pretty neutral that would match no matter where we ended up.

I loved working with this paint, but I did learn a few take-aways:
1.  It took a lot of paint - not the whole 12 oz. can, but maybe 2/3 of it, to get these bad boys covered fully.
2.  I won't be using sharpie next time...the paint caused it to run, and then made it harder to cover.
3.  Don't spray paint in cold weather - the paint crinkles almost as soon as it touches the cold glass.
4.  I think I will try to make the shapes less pointed next time.  I like these, but am hoping to do something   more swirly for the others.

That said, I love the new look of them.  Here they are in their new home on the mantle:


And again with some lilies from our yard and an always classic mason jar.  


Best part about this project - getting fun decorations for the price of spray paint.  

Be sure to check out these great link parties throughout the week for fun inspiration and ideas around the blog world!
Linking up here, here, here, here, here, and here
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)