Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Thrift tip: Swagbucks

I realize that this blog is called "Thrift for Today".  I also realize that while my daily life is pretty thrifty, sometimes I'm not sharing some of the fun thrifty tips and ideas that we use and learn.  So today, I'm giving you one little tip (and I'll try to post more frequently) that we have found to be a pretty simple way to save money.

And so, without further ado,   I give you Swagbucks.  This little gem of a site is free to join and allows you to earn points a number of ways.  Once you save up enough points, you can cash them in for lots of different gift cards or goods.

swagbucks.com


We always get the $5 gift cards to amazon because we will definitely use them.  And boy have we used them.  To date, the hubs and I have gotten over $400 in amazon gift cards [since fall 2011], which has helped us save on things for our wedding, gifts, and other random little things here and there.

Now, I should be clear.  I definitely wouldn't call Swagbucks a get rich quick plan.  And I definitely will not be quitting my day job to collect more and more gift cards.  But, they do make it so simple, I don't see myself quitting using the site anytime soon.

There are lots of ways to earn points on Swagbucks - you can take surveys, answer a daily poll, use the search bar, play games, watch videos, visit advertising sponsors, sign up for random newsletters, print and use coupons, etc.  Some of it is time consuming and some of it is not, but none of it is difficult.

Basically, it takes some time to earn enough points to get a reward unless you spend more than a few minutes/day on the site.  The way I see it, if I'm browsing the internet anyway, I might as well pick up a $5 gift card every now and then.

They also give you bonus points on your birthday, which is fun.

I realize it's not for everyone, but that amazon credit has sure helped us stay thrifty and I'm definitely a fan.

There are lots of rewards sites out there, but for now, I like swagbucks because you can use it as little or as often as you'd like and still get credit.

For other easy ways to earn some extra cash while you're online, check out this post by Crystal over at Money Saving Mom.  In fact, just yesterday, she shared another Swagbucks Success Story, so if you haven't tried it yet and you've got patience to accumulate the points, I'd say go for it.  

Stay thrifty!

Linked up here.

Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to try this out! Thanks for the thrifty tip!

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)