Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Blueberry pound cake with greek yogurt

Greek yogurt is all the rage now, and I can't say that I'm upset about it.  I have recently started to learn more about cooking with yogurt and was really happy to find this recipe on pinterest for a berry swirl pound cake.  

It called for raspberries and blackberries, but I adapted it for blueberries only since that's what I had on hand.  The result?  This yummy blueberry pound cake.  Even hubs liked it, and he is not a sweets person. 


INGREDIENTS: 
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, room temperature

DIRECTIONS:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and line with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides; butter parchment. 

2.  In a food processor, puree blueberries with 2 tablespoons of sugar and set aside (you can strain them into the bowls if you don’t like the light bite of seeds that do not break down). (Note:  I used by Cuisinart Smart Stick to puree the blueberries without trouble.) 

3.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.

4. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together butter (or oil) and 1 1/4 cups sugar until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. 

5.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine, scraping down bowl as needed. 

6.  With mixer on low, add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with Greek yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

7.  Stir 4 tablespoons of the cake batter into the bowl with the blueberry puree until uniform.  

8. Pour half the plain batter into the pan and dot with 1/2 of the blueberry puree-batter mix. (It will seem like it takes over all the plain cake batter, but don’t worry, it all works out.)  Swirl/marble lightly using a skewer or knife.  Repeat with remaining batter and remaining puree-batter mix, then again, swirl together, pushing skewer or knife all the way to the bottom for a full marble.

9. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 1 1/4 hours. Let cool in pan on a wire rack, 30 minutes. Lift cake out of pan and place on a serving plate; let cool completely before slicing.




Love it!
I used the Cuisinart hand mixer for the batter and like usual, it worked great!



We received both of these mixers for our wedding and they have really come in handy.  They are easy to use, and easy to clean which are both big pluses in my book!  I'm relatively new to the baking from scratch thing, but I love being able to pull things together and make something really yummy!

Also, I don't think I need to say this, but I will, these opinions are mine, I don't think anybody at Cuisinart has seen Thrift for Today yet.  :)

My mom recommended that I bring this home for Christmas this year.  We'll see about that.  

As much as I'm trying to hold onto summer, I'm looking forward to some more baking once the weather starts to cool down!

This recipe is linked up here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here
Follow on Bloglovin



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)