Monday, August 26, 2013

Decorating the mantel for fall

Happy Monday!  (Of course, I hope all your days are happy, but it's the start of a new work week nonetheless.)

On Friday, I mentioned just how thankful I was for the weekend.  And I'm happy to report that this weekend did not disappoint.

I'm also happy to report that I officially began decorating for fall!


This started out with a Friday night date night to Chili's which just happened to be directly across the parking lot from Home Goods.

And they just happened to have all of their lovely fall decorations out.  And just like that, our mantel became very seasonal.

I haven't really spent much on seasonal decorations since I've always lived with roommates, and when we got married, I didn't want to buy too much for the apartment in case I wouldn't be able to find a place for it in our house.


Now that we have a place that's ours, I am so excited to be able to pick up things here and there to decorate and make this place a home.  Everything on the mantel cost less than $8 each except the "Family" blocks and I feel confident that they'll have a place in our home for years to come, whether it's on the mantel or shelves or tables in the future.




From left to right, clockwise:
1.  A little wood panel "Bless this home" sign, so simple and pretty

2.  Harvest and Blessings sign, which we were able to have marked down due to a little scratch near the word blessing (see picture to right)

3.  Ceramic pumpkin I LOVE that it's a neutral color and not bright orange.  I like bright orange, but this one just seems so pretty like this.

4.  A wooden acorn...probably my favorite piece from the trip

5.  Wood blocks to spell out "family" which is a nice big center piece

6.  Assorted candles which smell great!  And they let me use the candle holders I found at the thrift store earlier this year.

The big clock above the fireplace is from Kirkland's, another favorite store.  It has a permanent home above the mantel though, and won't come down with the fall decorations.

I plan to add some pumpkins to the hearth in front of the fire place, but still think it's a little early for that.  (I also plan to add more decorations in years to come, but I think this is a pretty good start...)

What is your favorite space to decorate in the fall?

Linking up
The Grant Life
Sew Much Crafting
Create with Joy
Somewhat Simple
Creative Geekery
Blissful and Domestic
Follow on Bloglovin

10 comments:

  1. Your mantle is so cute! It's making me want to bust out all my fall decor as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melanie; I was just too excited for fall not to decorate any longer! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! And Im taking this as my cue to decorate mines as well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelley; I appreciate it! I'm really looking forward to fall! Thanks for hosting the link party recently; love following along with The Grant Life!
      Happy Friday!
      ML

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Mary! Im happy to have ya link up! And just a quick note - Im going to feature this tomorrow in a fall inspired roundup! Thanks for linking up!

      Delete
    3. Oh, thank you! I am excited and look forward to seeing all the other great fall ideas tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. Love this, pinned!

    Following from the GYB hop :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`¤... Jennifer
    Jenn's Random Scraps

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! <3 It gives me inspiration to decorate for the fall now :) My favorite space to decorate is my desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! I also like to have a nicely decorated desk...but all too often the primary decor is with sticky notes, it seem!
      :)

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)