Monday, August 19, 2013

Re-potting the plants, take two

Happy Monday!  I hope you all had a nice and relaxing weekend!  I actually got to spend some time at the beach, which was super nice and I'm excited to share that on the blog soon.  

Remember a few months ago when I posted here about the aloe vera plant I got back in the summer of 2009?  Well, less than six months later, they are bigger than ever.  You can see below the two largest plants from back in March.  (The huge one on the left is the Mama plant...the original one from 2009.)


And here's a close-up where you can really see all the new plants.  There were 14 total new plants from the main one in there!  14!  And all of them were healthy!



So just like last time, I rounded up the usual supplies - plastic cups for scooping dirt and an assortment of empty pots that have been waiting around to be filled.  I always use Miracle Gro Potting Mix, which really makes true on its promise for bigger plants.  (There were 14 new shoots in less than six months, in case you missed that.)  Frankly, it's the soil I've always used and I really don't use anything else.  So while I think it's great, I don't have anything really to use for comparison.  


Next we started loosening the soil in the pot so we could remove all the excess dirt and get the plants safely out of the pot to be separated.  


Look at all those roots!  


And here's what they look like all separated and re-potted in their new little homes. 


And while this isn't a particularly difficult project, it is pretty time consuming and need more than just two hands.  So, this post is essentially brought to you by this lady below.  My sister was awesome and came to visit Sunday afternoon just to help me with this project.  


Thank you, lady!  

I'm happy to have this project done (for the next few months at least).  

Be sure to stop by on Wednesday for Part 2 of the Budgeting Series to find out how we made our budget.  In case you missed Part 1, you can catch up here.  

See you then!
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)