Friday, August 16, 2013

Thrift Tip: Getting rid of cable tv

Happy happy Friday!  I'll be honest, I wasn't sure what today's thrift tip would be.  So this tip comes to you from my wonderful hubs who suggested that I write about something we decided to do immediately when we got married - to not have cable tv.  [By immediately when we got married, I mean we talked about it and decided it before and confirmed it when we told the installation technician that "we just don't watch that much tv" when he asked if we wanted cable after our internet had been set up. This wan't a topic of conversation on our wedding day or the blissful days following.]

And frankly, this didn't even occur to me to share with you all as a thrift tip because it has become so normal to me that we don't have cable that I don't even think of it in terms of being thrify.  But when you consider that cable tv can run upwards of $100 or more per month, I guess not having it is indeed thrifty and worthy of being shared.


I've always had cable television.  It's nice when you're living with your parents or when you're in college and live with roommates that split the bill.  And I'm not going to lie, I was a tiny bit sad to part with all the recorded shows on the DVR when we got married and I left the roommates.  

But at the end of the day, we couldn't justify spending that much money on television and it really hasn't been difficult at all.  We both work full-time, so our time at home during the week is pretty limited to begin with and we want to make the most of it instead of vegging out in front of the television every night.  

I should also be clear though that not having cable does not mean that we gave up television.  In fact, we have a pretty great television.  It's a 43" Samsung plasma television (I don't know the specs other than that) and it gets its fair share of use.  We've got an HD antenna that simply hooks up to the TV and allows us to get about 15-20 channels (depending on where we place it) that include all of the major broadcasting networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) and several country music channels, the Live Well Network (which is a personal fave) and random others.  

So, it works for us and it's saved us lots of money over the course of the past just over a year.  Not only that, but like I said earlier, it's helped us not check out when we're home together at night and on the weekends.  We are able to think of more creative and fun things to do.  And really, I don't think we're missing out on much.  

There are lots of options available too, if you don't want to limit yourself to an antenna.  You could also try streaming networks like Netflix or Hulu or YouTube.  Or for a little less than cable, you could have a satellite dish.  

So that's it.  Another way that we try to be thrifty and enjoy life.  Have you given up cable?  What has been your experience?

Follow on Bloglovin



2 comments:

  1. As much as I think I love TV, I havent had cable either in a long while...about 2 years now. Most of the shows I watch are on ABC and the likes which don't require cable so I really don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way exactly. I definitely have "my shows" even without cable!

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)