Monday, August 12, 2013

Yummy summer afternoon smoothies

Like I do sometimes, I picked up on this trend a little late.  Not that I've never had a smoothie - I used to stop by Planet Smoothie before class on the regular when I was in grad school.  And in high school, my friends used to make them when we'd have pool parties.  It's just that I never thought to make them at home for myself.  And what a mistake!

I'm an ice cream kind of girl.  Cookie dough or birthday cake will get me every single time and if you've got rainbow sprinkles, we've got a deal.  And then I started noticing lots of summer smoothies on pinterest, about the same time I started really using my Smart Stick blender for baking and saw how easily it blended fruit and finally realized how easy it would be to make delicious smoothies for myself.  (Now there's a run-on sentence for you...)
And because blueberries are a summer staple and we had some bananas around the house and because I decided to by frozen yogurt instead of ice cream (every little effort to be healthy helps, right?), this little treat has been a recent fave:  


And it is a cinch to make.  

BLUEBERRY BANANA SMOOTHIE

Ingredients
2 scoops of frozen vanilla yogurt 
1 banana
1-2 hand fulls of blueberries
a little bit (maybe 1/2 cup) of crushed ice

Directions
Add all that together and mix until smooth
Enjoy!

I was also able to make another this weekend that I just adored, but forgot to take a photo of without the blueberries - just bananas (and caramel & sprinkles).  That one tasted to me almost just like banana pudding, which is a southern classic and left me wishing that there were nilla wafers in the pantry.  

BANANA PUDDING SMOOTHIE

Ingredients
2 scoops of frozen vanilla yogurt
2 bananas
about 1 tablespoon of caramel sauce
about 1/2 cup of crushed ice

Directions
Blend ingredients until smooth
Top with whipped cream and sprinkles

*And I didn't have any, put some nilla wafer crumbs might just bring it home with this one. 

I'm on the lookout for more and healthier smoothies that include veggies that I can make on the go.  I even bought spinach from the grocery store today for that purpose.  :)  

What are your favorite things to blend up in a smoothie?

Linking up here, herehere, here, here, here, here, and here.
Stop by each of these parties for lots of creative inspiration! 
Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Yummy! I usually do smoothies every morning for breakfast! So delish! Thanks for the link up on the Frugal, Crafty, Home blog hop! We appreciate your participation and inspiration!
    xoxo, Jordan
    http://www.lilywhite-designs.com/2013/08/frugal-crafty-home-36.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jordan! I enjoy that party each week and appreciate you girls hosting! I have loved seeing all your adorable wardrobe re-do's this summer!
      Happy day!
      ML

      Delete
  2. Yum! I will definitely Pin this ... that banana pudding one is calling my name! :) Thanks for sharing.

    I found your blog through the "Two Girls and a Party" link up. Feel free to come visit me at http://chubbyfistsandweedbouquets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mandy! That one was SO yummy after I finished it, I almost regretted not having a picture to share!

      Delete
  3. I love smoothies!! =) Thanks for linking up at the Pinterest Power Party! Happy Friday!!

    Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! Thank YOU for hosting the awesome party! :)

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)