Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Brown sugar cookies

If you follow me on pinterest, you may have noticed that I recently separated my pinned dinner/real food pins from the dessert pins.  The result was a little less than surprising to me....I have more than double the dessert pins.  Sweet tooth, much?!

And after all that was sorted out, of course I wanted to try something new.  So, I decided to give this recipe for brown sugar cookies a try (you might have seen these cookies on the Five on Friday, recently).  I'm a big fan of chocolate chip cookies, and am still on the hunt for the best recipe, but figured that since I'd never had [or don't remember ever having] brown sugar cookies, this might be fun.  And it certainly was.

These are some of the softest cookies I've made.


INGREDIENTS:
2/3 cup butter, softened
1-1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream


INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1.  Blend together butter and brown sugar. 
2.  Add eggs, one at a time; blend well.
3.  Add vanilla; beat until light. 
4.  In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 
5.  Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream; mix well.
6.  Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto non-stick or lightly greased baking sheets. (I used parchment paper on a regular cookie sheet.)
7.  Bake for 8-9 minutes.

The original recipe also includes instructions for a butter frosting.  I didn't use it though, since I thought these cookies were sweet enough without it.

I also recommend cooking for about 9 minutes.  I took mine out at 8 minutes, and they were delicious, but feel almost half baked.  I prefer them really soft like that (and have been munching on them since they came out of the oven), but you might like them a little less soft.

But, these cookies were so simple to make and ended up being so yummy.  I will definitely be making them again.


What yummies have you been cooking up lately?
I'm linking up at the regular parties here.

14 comments:

  1. I NEED to make these. It's like you are speaking directly to my pregnancy cravings right now lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were super yummy! It was definitely hard not to eat them all in one sitting. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Alexis! Happy Friday!!

      Delete
  3. Never had brown sugar cookies but those look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, looks do not deceive in this case. :) I'd never had them either, but will definitely be having them again!

      Delete
  4. Those sound amazing! I'm going to pin them so I can make them later:)

    Happy to be co-hosting the bloggers digest with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! And same, happy to be co-hosting with you as well!! :)

      Delete
  5. These look super tasty! I will have to make these to share with my daughter sometime after I finish gobbling down the cookies I've already made haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal! I totally understand. I wanted cookies AND cupcakes this past weekend. So, when I finish the cookies, the cupcakes will be next. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow. These cookies look so delicious, I can't wait to make some for Thanksgiving dessert… because you can never have too much dessert! Thanks for linking up at our Link It or Lump It link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I agree -- there is always room for dessert!

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of brown sugar cookies but they sound absolutely divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either until these! They are melt in your mouth delicious!

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)