Monday, September 23, 2013

Liebster Award | Three cheers for Monday!

Well, this is a happy Monday!  Last week, I had the privilege of being nominated for not one, but two (!!!) Liebster Awards by some fellow bloggers.  That calls for a great big hip hip hooray for Thrift for Today!  I am so excited about all the new things happening over here in blog land!  I've been enjoying keeping up with and sharing the fun things we create and ideas that we have over here and lots of that has to do with some of the new blogs I've found and added to my reading list.  

So what does that even mean?  Liebster means all kinds of wonderful things in German - sweetest, kindest, dearest, lovely, pleasant, and the like.  The award itself is more like an encouraging chain letter in that there is no trophy or certificate (because where would I even put that?) that comes along with it.  Just simply a great big, "I really like your blog and am happy to be following along.  And I want to tell my readers about you." And so it's passed around from blogger to blogger and I'm happy to have been nominated recently. 

Liebster Rules:
1- Link back to the blogger that nominated you. 
2- Answer 11 questions posed by your nominator
3- Pass it on!  Nominate other bloggers with less than 200 followers to receive the award. 
4- Let them know.
5- Create 11 new questions for them to answer.

I was first nominated here by Jenifer at Not Quite Mom of the Year.  Jenifer is a mom of six and blogs about all kinds of fun crafts, recipes, and family fun. 

And then just a tiny bit later, I was nominated here by Melanie at Melanie Gets Married.  Like me, Melanie is a somewhat newlywed (just over a year) and is busy making a house a home.  She's also got lots of fun diy projects going on that you should check out!

Both of these ladies sent over 11 questions for me to answer and I'm excited to share these fun facts.  But, in the spirit of keeping this a blog post and not a novel, I'm going to answer questions from each of these nominations separately.  This means that I'll also be nominating other blogs separately, too!  (This is the part I'm most excited about.)

And so, today, I'm answering Jenifer's questions: 


If you could live any where in the world, where would it be?
Honestly, I would stay right where I am.  The hubs and I are close to lots of our friends and about an hour from both his parents and mine.  We're not too far from the mountains and not too far from the beach and we have 4 seasons a year.  There are certainly lots of places I'd like to see, but I care way more about the people than the places, so right here is where I want to be.  

How did you get into blogging?
I got into blogging kind of on a whim.  We were in the details stage of planning our wedding and I thought it would be a fun way to keep up with the things we were doing and to record the fun things we do and learn in our marriage.  I didn't do a very good job of keeping up with the blog in the beginning though, and have just recently started being really consistent with Thrift for Today.  

What are your favorite blogs?
There are so many.  Of course, the two that nominated me for the award are on the list as well as the ones I'm passing the Liebster on to (see below).  Some of the other blogs I'm reading along with these days are Young House Love (because really, Sherry and John are just so stinkin good at home makeovers), Let Why Lead (because Erica provides such simple and wonderful reminders to live a purposeful life), and House of Rose Blog (because Mandy keeps it real, is great at decorating, and has adorably fun stories to share).  

And there are so many that aren't listed here.  There just isn't room in a single post.  

Who is your hero?
Jesus.  I realize this sounds like a typical 'Sunday School' answer, but really.  My faith is the foundation for the person that I am and who I'm striving to become and at the center of that is Christ.  I want my life to be a reflection of Him.  Everything is second to that.  

What is a secret that no one knows about you?
If I told that, it wouldn't be a secret, would it?

What are your favorite things to blog about?
Oh, you know, a little of this and a dash of that.  I blog about life.  The things I make, the things I eat, the things I do, and the things I enjoy.  Faith, family, home, DIY, recipes, budgeting, thrifty living and the like. This blog is ever growing and changing just like we are, so there's no telling what you might find.  

What is your favorite holiday and why?
This is tough, but I'm going with Christmas.  It's a time to celebrate the birth of Christ, and a time when the whole family is able to get together.  

What project are you working on right now that you are really excited about?
As tedious and not super fun as it is, I'll be really excited when the stair spindles and trim in the stairwell are totally finished.  I just finished decorating for fall, and I'm looking forward to decorating for Christmas - we have a tree this year!!

What changes are you hoping to implement on your blog in the next year?
That is to be determined.  I've got lots of ideas - perhaps dealing with design.  I'd like to host at least 1 giveaway in the next year and possibly a new link-up.  We'll see though.  I mostly take this thing one day at a time.  

What do you find most frustrating about blogging?
Consistency.  It's a blessing (mostly) and a curse.  I have really been enjoying Thrift for Today and am happy to have fallen into a nice little Monday/Wednesday/Friday posting schedule.  Until it's Sunday night and there's nothing completed to post first thing Monday morning.  

What do you find most exciting about blogging?
That blogging is really what you make it.  You can be 'big time' or just keeping a journal of your thoughts.  And this can change.  I like that each blog is different and that each writer is unique!

And now for the fun part.  I'm nominating the following ladies for the Liebster Award and would love it you would check out their blogs:  


And my 11 questions to you all are as follows:  

1.  What is your biggest blogging inspiration?
2.  What is a fun and random fact about you?
3.  How many siblings do you have and are you the oldest, youngest, etc.?
4.  What is your favorite post that you've ever posted and why?
5.  If you could only eat one dessert for the rest of your life, what would it be?
6.  When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
7.  Where do you blog?  At home?  At a coffee shop?  Watching TV?
8.  What is one song that you are currently jamming to?
9.  Name 3 of your top "to-read" blogs.  
10.Which social media platform is your favorite?  Why?
11.What is your favorite season of the year?

Be sure to check out the blogs listed above to see their answer to these questions as well as their favorite blogs and new nominees!    



6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your answers Mary Leigh! I completely understand the issue with consistency. Maybe we can compare notes sometime. Keep up the great posts! Can't wait to see What you have in store for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for nomination! I'm so appreciative. It's also so encouraging to know someone out there is liking the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sure thing! I'm enjoying following along!

      Delete
  3. Stopping by from the grab a friend blog hop and followed :)

    AmeriAus Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thanks for following along!!

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)