Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Putting away the summer whites

This post is a mix of thrifty fashion and an official "until next year" to white shorts. There are some "rules" of fashion that I'm willing to break - like the occasional black/brown mix.  But I just can't when it comes to wearing white shorts after labor day.  [This of course, does not include winter whites and I love a cream colored pea coat.]  Growing up, I waited for Easter Sunday to wear white shoes to church and then quickly put them away after labor day.  And even though it's definitely still warm enough for shorts, the white ones are away until next year.  

But, don't worry, I made sure to get them in at least once more over the long labor day weekend.  And I'm pretty happy to share their final appearance for the season.  [Disclaimer:  I feel a little bit showy having a post completely dedicated to what I'm wearing, but frankly, I loved this outfit and I love seeing what other bloggers come up with from their closets, so here it is.]



I'm also happy to share this since my take on fashion also springs largely from my take on thrift.  And while I love things that are trendy and fun, I work hard to find those things at deep discounts.  [Although I will sometimes splurge on the right pair of shoes or dress for special events.]

This linen tunic is a HUGE favorite of mine.  I love that it's linen and is so breathable in the spring and summer, but its 3/4 length sleeves make it look great also with long pants and skinny jeans transitioning into the fall.  It came from Goodwill for a whopping $3.39.

The shorts are from a clearance rack at TJ Maxx and I've had them now for about 3 years.  Still going strong.  I don't remember exactly how much they cost, but they were definitely less than $10.

And the shoes are the same ones I mentioned in the Five on Friday post here.  They were marked down to $9.99 minus an additional 25% from JC Penney.


Not bad for under $20, right? Right.  And quite trendy, if I say so myself.

So, white shorts, until next year.

What are you wearing these days?  What are your favorite things to transition from summer to fall?

Linking up!  Be sure to check out all the parties here!

7 comments:

  1. Totally the cutest outfit for under 20! Im totally stealing this inspiration :)

    I love your style! I just had to follow so I can keep up :)

    Xo Kylie @ Absolutely Arkansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much; you're too kind! It's funny - I just did the same thing. Totally stealing some of your home style!
      Best,
      ML

      Delete
  2. Love the white shorts (they always makes people look super tan, just another plus!) and I like the detail around the neckline of the top... super cute look! :)

    xo, Abby @ Always, Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby! You are right about those shorts. My tan is certainly not much to think of, so I appreciate any help I can get in that department!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)