Monday, October 28, 2013

DIY Feather Hairclip

Happy Monday!  I think I've finally caught up a little bit around blog-land since our fun vacation and I'm almost through those photos to share with you soon!  In the meantime, I wanted to share a quick and simple little project I threw together over the weekend for a costume party with some friends.

We were pretty last minute with our costumes and really didn't want to spend much money on them, so we decided to go as a couple from the 1920's.  I had a black kind of frilly dress and honey had a sweet tuxedo that he snagged from a local thrift store for a whopping $10 a few months back (and it fits like a charm!)  So we thought that seemed easy enough.

And so I stopped by Michael's (because I love the 40% off coupons) to pick up a fun feather boa and something to make a hair piece with.


My plan was to make a sparkly elastic headband with some feathers, but then I saw a fun little group of feathers with felt backing and immediately snatched it up.  With some hot glue, a bobby-pin, and a piece of a notecard, I had a great little hair clip that matched perfectly to the boa.



I thought I would just put a dot of hot glue on the back of the feathers and attach the bobby pin, but quickly realized that would just glue the pin together and I wouldn't be able to use it in my hair.

So, I cut a small slip of a notecard and placed it between the top and bottom of the bobby pin to protect the underside of the pin and give the glue a flat surface to stick to.  I put the glue directly onto the pin/notecard then stuck it to the feathers so that it looked like this:


I held it for about 2 minutes for the glue to hold and then left it out for a while to be sure the glue was totally dry.  Finally, I pinned it in my hair the same way I would any regular bobby-pin.  And ta-da!  A fun, feather hair clip minus the itchy elastic band around my forehead.


I'd say that was 5 minutes well spent.  And I think we looked super cute, if I do say so myself.  :)

12 comments:

  1. I love the hair clip and bet it would look gorgeous in my daughter's hair!
    Thank you for linking to Super Sunday Sync!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you make a fun clip for her! Be sure to let me know if you do!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica! I appreciate that so much! :)

      Delete
  3. Stopping by from the linkup. That hair clip is adorable! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ileana! Thank you for stopping by and following along. I hope you'll enjoy!

      Delete
  4. You do look super cute! I love quick and easy embellishments and this feathery fun certainly fits the bill. Thanks so much for linking up at Link It or Lump It!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Allison! I appreciate you stopping by and was happy to find the Link it or Lump it party!!

      Delete
  5. Adorable! MY daughters would love one of these! Thanks for linking up with the Ginger Jamboree, I hope you will like up something fabulous again today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Megan! Thank you for stopping by! I'm new to the Jamboree, but am definitely loving it so far; thank you for hosting!

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)