Friday, October 18, 2013

Thanks, Pinterest

Happy Friday, friends!  Today, I'm mixing the Five on Friday routine up a bit to share some fun ways Pinterest has been bringing traffic this old blog and tips to help you utilize those pins as well.  So I've put together my Top 5 Pinterest Tips, thus far and I look forward t hearing yours as well!

I missed the boat on the initial Pinterest craze.  I created an account and then deactivated it, because I didn't see much value in it.  I could search for things without an account, and I just didn't get into pinning things.  

And then I started blogging regularly.  Then I started paying attention to blog traffic.  And I started to understand the value in being on pinterest, actively pinning and re-pinning great pins and posting pin-worthy images with the little Thrift for Today URL.  


I've read it over and over again - how important it is to use Pinterest to drive traffic to your blog and I'm happy to report that this has officially become one of my top sources of traffic.  And while I won't totally venture out to say that I consider this as passive traffic.  I almost will, because frankly, some of my most popular pins for the blog are ones that y'all have pinned on your own and not directly from my boards.  And they're being re-pinned by your followers.  So a big THANK YOU to those of you that pin directly from the blog and those of you that are followers and pin from my boards.  I appreciate all of you.  

I especially appreciate it when I'm away from the promotional side of the blog for a while.  I've got what I consider to be a great list of link parties here that I try to frequent (and recommend you checking out, as well), which is helpful for promoting posts and finding other great posts to read.  But there are sometimes when simply getting things posted is a big accomplishment and I can promote a little,but I just am not on my a-game when it comes to linking up.  

And Pinterest has been really helpful in continuing to get posts out there when I'd rather be sleeping.  Or cleaning the house.  Or cooking dinner.  Or going to work.  Or going on dates with the hubs.  

So, thanks Pinterest and thanks to all of you who are pinning and re-pinning.  Below is a quick list of things I've learned so far: 

MY TOP 5 TIPS FOR INCREASING BLOG TRAFFIC WITH PINTEREST

1. Take Great Photos
I think this one goes without explaining.  Your pins are more likely to be repinned if they look great and you want them to be repinned.  

2. Pin Directly From Your Blog
I've got a great little hover button for all the images that allows me and any of you readers to simply click on pin to have images pinned directly from the blog.  This is important so that your images don't just simply get uploaded without a link back to your post.  It also increases the likelihood that your images will be pinned since you've made it easier.  A simple websearch will allow you to find tutorials for adding these buttons.

3. Re-pin Other Great Pins
Because you'll want to save those for future ideas and will give more interesting things for your followers to look at.  My favorite pinners are those that are posting from a whole wide range of places with really great ideas and tips.  So be diverse.  Pin and Re-Pin.  

4. Re-pin photos from old posts
Or go back and create great images for posts without pictures.  All of your posts that you want to get out there should have some sort of image that is pinnable.  If not, even if it's a great post, it's not going on Pinterest.  I'm always surprised by how much more traffic old posts have gotten simply by a new pin.  

5.  Just be on Pinterest
Because how else can you know when people are pinning your posts?    

You can count this as preaching to the choir if you're already using Pinterest.  And if for any reason you're not or are not actively using it to connect with readers, that's my humble blog tip.  I say humble, because of course, I've still got a lot to learn. 

Do you have any pinning tips?  What has been most helpful in promoting your posts when you need to be away from the computer? 

Are we friends on Pinterest?  If you leave a comment letting me know you're a new follower, I'll be happy to stop by and follow back.  And maybe even to re-pin a thing or two.  :)





20 comments:

  1. Thank you for these tips! I'm always looking for ways to get folowers for my new blog and I'll definitely be utilizing these tips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Maria! Your blog looks great!

      Delete
  2. thanks for the pinterest tips doll!!! have a great weekend!
    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elise! I hope you're having a great weekend!!

      Delete
  3. I must get a pin it button under my posts...I see that now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been really helpful for me! Let me know if you can't find a button you like. I'll be happy to send the code for the little button on my pics!

      Delete
  4. I love pinterest! Thanks so much for the tips!
    Thanks so much for linking up with me today! Make sure you enter to win my giveaway from Wednesday, http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie! I'll have to stop by in a bit and enter!

      Delete
  5. Great tips. I've definitely started educating myself more on how to drive traffic to my blog with Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly still learning as well. I would love to know if you find other helpful tips! Happy Saturday!

      Delete
  6. I couldn't agree more! I keep telling everyone how important Pinterest is. In fact 75 % of my views come from Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Steph! I'm continuing to learn that for sure!

      Delete
  7. I love Pinterest. I struggle with finding a balance with it because when I get on there, I don't want to get off. When I do get off it's to visit the things I find on there! I don't get things done that I SHOULD be getting done DONE then. :) Great post and tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that, Crystal! It can become addicting!

      Delete
  8. I always get a little excited when someone pins a pin, hahah, silly but true. Pinterest is fun!


    Thank you for linking to Super Sunday Sync. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not silly at all! I love to have things pinned and re-pinned! :)

      Delete
  9. Just started following you, I'm lindsaykgill on Pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lindsay! I'm happy to return the follow! :)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the tips! I'm really new to the blog thing but I'm trying to get out there and get read and I'm finding it quite confusing.

    Following you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Pinterest has certainly been helpful for me. Feel free to let me know if you ever have questions!

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)