Monday, December 23, 2013

Coffee Cake

Happy Monday, friends!  Can you believe that Christmas is just TWO [I repeat...two!!] days away?  This weekend was unseasonably warm though, so instead of doing to much cozy, winter things, we did some yard work and took a nice walk around the neighborhood.  No complaints from this girl.

I am excited for this week though and am really looking forward to getting to spend the next several days with our family celebrating the birth of our Savior.

Today, I'm sharing a simple and delicious recipe that I've made twice this month already.  I initially made this coffee cake on a whim just wanting to try something new.  And after taking it in to the office, I knew for sure that it was something I'd make again.  And then a couple of weeks ago when we had guests visit, I made it again to be sure that our guests had something sweet.


To make this sweet treat, I used this recipe and this recipe for guides.  According to both, this is a copy-cat version of Starbucks' coffee cake.  And while that may be true, I can't honestly say that I know what Starbucks' coffee cake taste like, so if that's your thing, I don't want to make you a promise that I'm not sure is correct.  

But, I can say that this is a yummy treat that will certainly not disappoint.  And if you do like the coffee cake from Starbucks, I'm sure this is cheaper anyway, so you should give it a try.  Deal?  Deal.  

INGREDIENTS
1 boxed yellow cake mix + the ingredients needed on the back of the box
2 sticks cold butter
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla

Since I made this twice, I used two different cake mixes.  The first time, I used 2 boxes of Jiffy yellow cake mix since I had them in the pantry.  The second time, Food Lion had a BOGO deal on Betty Crocker mixes, so I tried the Butter Yellow mix.  Ultimately, I liked the butter yellow mix the best and found it to be more moist and just overall sweeter.  The Jiffy batch was the one I took to the office though, and everyone (including me) really enjoyed it, too.  



DIRECTIONS
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Prepare boxed cake mix per instructions on the box and bake for 15-17 minutes (half the recommended bake time)
3.  While the cake is baking, you'll want to mix the crumb topping.  That is dump everything else in a large bowl and mix.  Should look like this: 

I used my hand blender to mix at first just to break up the butter, but had to resort to just using my hands to be sure everything was mixed well.  Because the butter is cold, you won't get a smooth mixture.  It should end up lumpy like this:  

4. Take cake out of oven.  Edges should be set, but the center should still be soft.  And just barely jiggly, if that's a good way to describe it.  Mine looked like this as a point of reference:  

5.  Cover cake completely with the crumb topping and return to oven for 15-17 minutes (the rest of the recommended cooking time for your cake.  

6.  Enjoy.

I ate this for breakfast everyday last week.  I can't recommend it from a healthy diet standpoint, but if you're looking for a sweet treat to get your day going - this is it.  





10 comments:

  1. Lovely blog - have followed. I see you are part of the BloggerChallenge 2014 as am I - can't wait to read some posts.
    Jules
    http://www.lippylikes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jules! I am looking forward to the challenge and excited to read your posts as well!

      Delete
  2. I haven't had coffee cake in sooooooooooo long. I love it too. :) Thank you for linking to Super Sunday Sync.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same; and this was a super fun recipe!!

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious and so easy! Visiting from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Tanya!!

      Delete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious! I am definitely going to try it.
    -Alyssa

    www.pinchoflyss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alyssa! You certainly will not regret it! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, that looks way to easy for something that I am sure tastes so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! But I'm happy that it's so simple!!

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)