Monday, December 2, 2013

DIY Christmas Mantel Decor: Noel sign

I hope you all had a great thanksgiving!  We spent the whole weekend with family relaxing and heading down to the beach.  And the fact is, I just didn't take many pictures, but it was wonderful.

So today, I'm happy to share this little project with you as we get ready for Christmas.  This is 100% a pinterest inspired post, but one that turned out exactly how I hoped that it would and I am so so so pleased with the result.

I've been really happy to have a mantel in our home (during this season, I'm thankful mostly because it means that we have a fireplace) that I can decorate with the changing seasons.  You may remember my fall mantel here.

But as soon as we put up the Christmas tree, it was time for the mantel also to change.  I pinned this pin way back when I first started using pinterest and thought it would be a good Sunday afternoon project for the mantel.  I texted one of my sisters to ask what I should do with the mantel and she texted back a picture of the pin without even knowing, so I knew I had to go for it.  I marched (or drove) straight to Michael's armed of course with my coupons and picked up all the supplies.

But first, the inspiration:
Noel
via
My version:  

Not too shabby, huh?
I had the small grapevine wreath just waiting to be decorated, some of the paint, and foam brushes on hand.  We ended up buying the wooden letters, "N", "E", and "L", additional paint and a little sprig of silver from the Christmas tree pick bins.


And really, I don't think this project could have been more simple.  I used Americana brand acrylic paint in slate gray to paint the N and mixed paint for the other 2 letters.  For the E, I originally planned to use "warm white", but it ended up being so close to the original color, I mixed in some gray to make a slightly lighter shade than the N.  

For the L, I mixed black, white and a small bit of gray to make almost a charcoal color that I ended up loving.  Each wooden letter took 3 coats of paint.  Of course if you try this at home, be sure to let each coat dry thoroughly before moving to the next.  

I used separate brushes for each letter to keep the colors separate.  

For the wreath, I separated the tree pick and hot glued the individual pieces around.  


And that was that. It looks so great on our mantel and is something that I know I will use for years to come.  Such a fun afternoon project!  

Those sweet little snowflakes go perfectly with the gray paint and are actually placecard holders that were on clearance last year from Target.  I also added little pine cones that I plucked off of our live wreath last year before throwing it out after Christmas.  


I really really love how it all came together.  I'm excited to show off the full mantel in all of its Christmas glory.  But, I've still got a few finishing touches to add before I do that.  But I promise, it will be just lovely.  You may have guessed it, but if not, this little Noel sign is the centerpiece.  

Don't you just love when a Pinterest project is successful?

Also, I want to give a big thank you to the ladies over at Blogging on the Side for featuring Thrift for Today Friday!  If you haven't checked out Blogging on the Side yet, you should.  These ladies write awesome advice, tips, and ideas for keeping blogging in check with real life - finding a balance while blogging on the side.  

Happy Monday, friends!

16 comments:

  1. That looks really good Mary Leigh! Definitely inspring for years to come. I had some help with my mantle decorations last year, and I love them so much, I will have to keep them for a few more years. :) I will have to post some pictures soon! Come to think of it, I have a couple of book shelves I could recreate this Noel on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jennifer! I'm enjoying the mantel for sure, but it can sometimes be intimidating to decorate it. I was really happy that this pinterest project turned out how I wanted. I hope y'all are all doing well!!

      Delete
  2. Looks so good! I honestly like yours better than the Pinspiration! Fabulous job :) Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.stephanieziajka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! I appreciate that! We did have a great Thanksgiving; I hope you did, too!!

      Delete
  3. Very cute! I have seen that image many times and always loved it! You did a good job of recreating it and making it your own ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melanie! I love the spoons you're making over in your Etsy shop and wish you all the best this Christmas! Hopefully you'll have lots of orders!

      Delete
  4. Super cute! Love it! I pinned something very similar. I don't have a mantle, but I need to find a shelf or somewhere to put it because it turned out very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ericka! I've had the "inspiration" pin pinned for so long and I was really happy to create one of my own!

      Delete
  5. Thank-you for sharing and linking your wonderful post to "The Most Fabulous Link-up Jol"
    I am following you on a variety of different social media.
    Keren (From the blog: Fabulous-farmliving)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Keren! I appreciate you following along!!

      Delete
  6. I love DIY projects and this is beyond cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aleshea! This is a fun time of year for crafts!

      Delete
  7. This is very inspiring, I may just have to try to update my decor this year! Thanks for posting on the Four Seasons Blog Hop! Pinning and Google+ ! Sandra from Scrumptilicious 4 You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandra! This is our first year in our home, so I was feeling very inspired! I appreciate you sharing!

      Delete
  8. Love how simple but pretty they look. And who doesn't love wreaths!

    Grace Crawford (Website link to Dr Alex Schnee Knee Doctor Cold Laser )

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)