Sunday, December 8, 2013

DIY Keepsake Christmas Ornaments

I am in full-blown Christmas mode over here.  My pinterest feed is overflowing with so many great ideas and I've got lots of inspiration floating around on link parties I frequent, and my blog feed.

I actually wish we could just slow down this season and all the festivities so I can enjoy these projects a little bit longer.  Today's project is a re-visiting of the project I did here last year.  But I didn't actually finish these ornaments last year and since we didn't have a tree, they lived in a box until now.  

Today, I'm sharing these sweet, simple, and so very special DIY keepsake ornaments, each of which took about 5 minutes to make.  


I got all of these glass ball ornaments from Michael's with a coupon and then filled them with sweet keepsakes.  The first one on the left has little spray roses from the first year that hubs and I were dating, meaning they are over 5 years old.  I actually dried all the roses he gave me during our first year of dating and had them in a vase for a long time.  I've still got most of them, but after all the moves, many of them have fallen out and had to be thrown out.  But not these sweet ones.  They fit perfectly in the ornament, so I thought this was a great way to preserve them and continue to enjoy them.  This one is actually my favorite.  


The sand-filled ornament is full of sand from our honeymoon in Cancun.  Of course this one was simple.  Poured the sand in and done.  

The last one is our wedding invitation.  I used a paper cutter to cut it into small strips and then wrapped each strip around a regular number 2 pencil.  I held it for about 10 seconds and took the pencil out.  Once the paper was sufficiently spiraled, I just stuffed all of them into the ornament.  


And then of course, I tied each of them up with little ribbons to hang on the tree.  They are my favorite ornaments and I am so happy every time I see them.  



14 comments:

  1. Thanks for such a sweet idea! I'd love to make some with photos in them. I particularly love the one filled with shredded paper.
    My pinterest is Christmas crazy also.
    Rebecca x | The Beauty and Life Edit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! I think they would look great with photos!

      Delete
  2. this is my thing, i just love making ornaments and these are so easy and beautiful to make
    thanks for the share
    Maria
    http://www.simplenaturedecorblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! These were really easy and also really special! It makes me so happy to see them on our tree!

      Delete
  3. These are so cute! What a great idea to make simple meaningful decorations. I love the rose one and the one filled with paper. A tree filled with different memories but all in the same type ornament would look amazing.

    Jaclyn

    teacupsandcake.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's an idea...a whole tree full! I think it's a great way to save special memories, for sure! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Saw you at Wonderful Wednesday linky, love your Christmas ornament idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm glad you like these!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for stopping by Four Seasons Blog Hop and sharing your wonderful ornament ideas~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I'm thankful to be a part of the blog hop!

      Delete
  6. Hi from Family Friday Link Up. Love these adorable ornaments so I Pinned it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shirley! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  7. I love this idea Mary Leigh- especially to recap a great year before :) Thank you so much for linking up to Get Your DIY On with us last week! I hope you'll join us tomorrow with your hand made gift project!

    Mandy @ The Hankful House Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mandy; it was a great year indeed! I enjoy the Get Your DIY on posts!

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)