Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Fruit Ambrosia {Guest Post}

Happy Wednesday, friends!  A few weeks ago, I sent out a call for contributors in hopes to link up with other lovely bloggers to share Christmas treats, traditions, and ideas each week leading up to Christmas.  And now that December is here, the countdown has officially started.  I'm excited to have Danita here today from O Taste and See Blog sharing a special family recipe with you all!

Be sure to check out Danita's blog for more yummy recipes and stories!  You can also follow here on social media using these links: Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+.

ambrosia 012

Hi, I'm Danita and I am privileged to be guest posting today for Mary Leigh. I blog at "O Taste and See" where I talk about the things that are important to me...Faith, Family, Fun and LOTS of Food!

Our family is so excited to finally start the Christmas season. While we enjoy Thanksgiving VERY much, we look forward all year to our Family Christmas traditions. With Thanksgiving being a little later this year, there has been added anticipation.   We do the typical family Christmas activities, like purchasing and decorating our live Christmas tree (although, purchasing a live tree in Texas isn't always as easy as it sounds), baking cookies, wrapping presents, going to parties and best of all Favorite Christmas Foods! Food is a very big part of all our activities this time of year.  We have many special recipes we wait all year to make.

This ambrosia is probably the one thing everyone is our family loves. It's super easy and with all the other cooking going on around Christmas that's a big bonus! I am aware that "ambrosia" by the strictest definition is not always a quick and easy dish as it contains mostly fresh fruit that has to be peeled and cut. I did make that one year and although it was good, our family liked this better, That's a winning combination...they like it better and it's easier! It's also one of those recipes that I call "forgiving", which means it can be adjusted to fit the size or taste of your group and it's still wonderful.

Here's the Recipe:

  • 1 can fruit cocktail - drained
  • 1 can mandarin oranges - drained
  • coconut - to taste (may be omitted if desired)
  • marshmallows - to taste
  • sour cream 
Should be made the day ahead to allow marshmallows to soften and flavors to "marry".
ambrosia 043More or less of any ingredient can be used to suit your taste.  Nuts could even be added.

ambrosia 054After fruit is well drained, combine in a medium bowl.  I use a plastic bowl with lid so it can be mixed and stored in the same container.

ambrosia 007
Add marshmallows and coconut.  Stir well before adding sour cream.
Start with a large spoonful of sour cream.  Stir well before adding more.  It will mix with any juice left on fruit so add a little at a time.  
For one recipe, about 2-3 oz of sour cream should be enough.
ambrosia 016
Chill in refrigerator overnight
 I often purchase the extra cherry fruit cocktail for more color and because my daughter loves cherries.
[yumprint-recipe id='54']




7 comments:

  1. Thanks Mary Leigh! This was great. It was so thoughtful of you to add my social media links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely; I appreciate you sharing this lovely treat!!

      Delete
  2. Yummm! I think I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here from the bloghop =)

    That dessert looks lovely, it would be perfect for a Christmas dessert! I'll check out her blog =)

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Corinne! You won't be sorry; Danita's got lots of great treats her way!!

      Delete
  4. Jummy, I want some jummy in my tummy

    {bloghop}

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)