Monday, December 16, 2013

How to clean headlights with toothpaste

Happy Monday, friends!  I'm back today after a nice and relaxing weekend full of cold and rain and friends and family to bring you another surprisingly simple cleaning tip.  

I mentioned before that we've been working to clean some of the less obvious things around the Thrift for Today house and one of our recent projects isn't actually in the house, but the garage:  our foggy headlights.  This is another common problem with an easy DIY fix:  How to de-fog your headlights with toothpaste.  

Our headlights went from this: 


To this in less than 10 minutes.  

SUPPLIES
An old, cleaning rag or non-abrasive sponge
Toothpaste (be sure to get the paste and not gel)
Water

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Squeeze a medium amount of toothpaste directly onto headlight.  (By medium amount, I mean that I drew swirls and dots with the toothpaste over the whole light, if that's helpful...)
2. Scrub dry with rag like so (I did this for about 5 minutes per light):
3. Dampen rag with water (be sure it's just damp enough to wipe of the toothpaste, but not dripping wet)
4. Wipe headlight clean
5. Repeat if necessary


To be honest, I was a little skeptical of this at first.  Our headlights had been foggy for MONTHS.  But since I don't usually drive this car, I didn't really notice.  What a difference 10 minutes can make though.  The increased visibility from having these lights cleaned is incredible considering toothpaste was the magic ingredient.  

I feel safer with this car on the road at night now and thrilled that this was such an easy fix!



8 comments:

  1. I had no idea that you could fix it so easily! Thanks for sharing. I pinned so I can remember it later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ericka! It worked out surprisingly well! Let me know if it works for you!

      Delete
  2. This is genius! I need to do this before our trip up to Spokane this weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susannah! Let me know if you try it! Travel safely and have a great time!!

      Delete
  3. I would not have ever thought of this but it is a great idea and obviously it really works. I had to chuckle because I just washed my car today and pulled it into the garage to do some detailing and pretty much gave up on the headlights. Then I see this tonight! Definitely giving it a try the next time. Thanks for sharing on the Four Seasons Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked out so well - and wasn't too difficult either! I had never even tried to clean the headlights, so I was thrilled that this simple solution had such great results!

      Delete
  4. What BrandOfToothpasteDidYouUse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dani! I used Colgate - just plain paste and not gel.

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)