Wednesday, January 15, 2014

2014 Blogger Challenge: Skincare

Happy Wednesday, friends!  I'm excited about today's post because it's my first post for the 2014 Blogger Challenge a year long blogging challenge hosted by Gaby over at Another Girly Blog.  The idea is to have a different prompt twice/month to challenge us to think and to write about things that we might not otherwise talk about on our blogs.  And with more than 400 participants, this is a fun way to meet other bloggers as well!  

I'm looking forward to all the different writing prompts and and excited to share some different things with y'all!  

We're actually on the second topic of the year - skincare.  Does anyone else have trouble keeping their skin looking great during the winter?  Please tell me how you keep your skin beautiful.  (This post is mostly about facial skincare, although, I'd also love to hear your about your favorite products to keep your hands smooth in the winter...mine are sooo dry these days.)

I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to skincare - that is, I've got some things I would love to change about my skin - those random red spots from high school/college acne, random breakouts here and there, etc.  But, ultimately, I've got pretty normal skin - not super oily, not super dry.  

And my routine is also simple.  Wash daily, tone, moisturize occasionally (I know, I should be better about this), and that's that.  

I would love to tell you that I have a lovely, routine and flawless skin, but that's just not true.  Below is what I use on a daily basis: 



The facial cleansing gel on the far left was an impulse buy that I picked up at Marshalls when we were Christmas shopping and I like it so far.  It's a nice change from the exfoliating scrub sometimes.  Next in line is St. Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub.  Again, nothing fancy, but I've been using this for several months now and have enjoyed it.  And finally, Olay refreshing toner finishes up my nightly routine to get any left over makeup or dirt that I might have missed.  This one really lives up to its description, too.  Cleans without drying out your skin.  I have really enjoyed using this one.    

And because we're talking about facial skincare, I figured I would also show you what I wear on my face each day...again, nothing too fancy.  


It's a mixed bag.  I really like L'oreal's true match powder.  I've used the matching blush and other products with it several times and have been pleased, but am using Maybelline's Fit Me liquid foundation and blush currently because I was in a hurry and someone had just come through the makeup aisle, clearing things out and making a mess when I bought new makeup the last time.  The foundation is pretty lightweight, which has been nice and actually, mixes quite well with the powder. 


And finally, my eyes.  I tend to be not picky  AT ALL when it comes to my mascara, so long as it keeps my lashes soft, is waterproof, but can be washed off and this Covergirl Clump Crusher mascara fits the bill.  I wear mascara almost everyday, regardless of whether or not I'm wearing other makeup.  On the left, is my favorite eye shadow trio currently, which is from Avon, although I don't have a link to it.  And at the very top is the liquid eyeliner that I've been using for quite a while. It's by e.l.f. (eyes, lips, face) and at just $1.00, it really can't be beat.    

As you can see though, almost all of it is empty, which means I soon need to restock my makeup bag.  I would love to know if you all have any favorite products that you've found to keep your skin particularly healthy...or long wearing/great coverage makeup.  


6 comments:

  1. I've been using Witch Hazel as my toner and I can really tell a difference between when I use it and when I don't! I need a good black liquid liner so I'm definitely going to get the elf one that you use and try it out, it can't hurt to try for $1!

    Ivy xx
    Style Life Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live by my Clean & Clear astringent to fully remove all makeup, and it really keeps my skin pretty clear overall. I also love my Bare Minerals foundation and Almay liner - two things I definitely can't live without. I love how simple and clean your routine is, Mary Leigh :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really gotten into using toner because they always make my skin feel so dry.. I might have to give that Olay one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been having really good luck with a homemade scrub and homemade lotion I have been using. This winter has been terrible and my skin is nowhere near as dry as it usually is!

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)