Monday, January 27, 2014

A DIY Valentine's Mantel

Can I tell you a crazy thing?  February is this week.  THIS WEEK, people.  I can't believe how quickly time goes by!  Honestly, this month has been kind of a blur.  We've been doing bits and pieces of decorating around the Thrift for Today house, but since the fall and Christmas decorations have come down, the mantel has been one big old area of boring.

But, with Valentine's Day coming up (and Valentine's Day is one of my favorite days...who doesn't like to celebrate love?!), and so I had something themed to decorate.  I'm still working on my year round inspiration but I'm happy to have something new up for February.


This little project took about half an hour and was created all with things that I already had, so not only was I pumped about it, but the hubs was too.

I started with the vases that I spray painted about a year ago (also seen here) and then collected some sticks that had fallen from trees in the back yard.  I was really excited about this as I think about the more permanent decor for the mantel, I thought this would be an easy way to decide how I felt about sticks/flowers in the vases...and I think I like it.

I also had lots of foam hearts in different sizes left over from another project a couple of Valentine's days ago from Michael's and ribbon I had simply on hand.


The photo above really shows exactly how these Valentine trees were put together.  Sticks in a jar with tied on hearts.  I used a simple hole puncher to punch each foam heart and tied a string around the heart and then tie them to the branches.



For the bunting, I just put two small dots of hot glue on the back of each heart and connected them with a string.

I am so happy with the way they turned out!


And I'm still open for some more permanent decor ideas for this mantel space.  I think I might need to learn a little more in MS paint to create some options.  



18 comments:

  1. Your mantel is adorable! I definitely want to make that bunting! :)

    Ivy xx
    Style Life Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so dang pretty, Mary! I'll have to bear this in mind when the husband and I move into our new place in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is so crazy that it's almost February!!! January has just flown by!!! I love your mantel! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I love this! It makes me wish I had a mantle so badly. I love that you decorate for valentines day. It is such a fun holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Valentine's Day mantel! So cute and easy...I need to do some crafts like this to decorate our house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute decorations! That clock is stunning!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute - my fav would be the valentine's day trees. definitely will try this for the holiday and maybe try this idea too for st. pat's! thanks for sharing :)
    ann
    {eatsleepmarket.com}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I was really pleased with how they turned out and hope to use them over and over for different holidays!!

      Delete
  8. such a sweet and pretty
    Valentine's mantel

    would love for you to share
    at Fridays Unfolded this week!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so simple but just right! Its adorable and makes me wish I had a mantle to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those little hearts on the twigs are adorable and I love the bunting! Crafty and free, perfect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these ideas! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love decorated mantels! I also love your valentine hearts branches very clean and attractive looking. Thanks for sharing on the Four Seasons Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all you mantel decorations. So creative. I love the little branch decoration! Thank you for sharing with us on Twirl and Take a Bow. Join us any Tuesday! We'd love to have you! ~Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very creative, and I love that you use things that you already had....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sweet mantel! Isn't is amazing what we can create for next to nothing? Thanks so much for sharing at our Get Your DIY on party! XO

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)