Friday, January 31, 2014

Snow cream recipe

Did your elementary math teachers ever teach you to "guess, check, and revise"?  Well, today's snow cream recipe follows that same method.

I may or may not have mentioned before that I don't love the snow that much.  I don't care for slick roads or freezing cold weather.  And because this was the status of our road around 1:00 pm, I worked right at the kitchen table on email all day.
That's not a lot of snow, you say.  I know.  But there's a great sheet of ice underneath.  Yuck.  
One good thing about the snow though was that I was able to make some yummy snow cream!



INGREDIENTS
4 cups of fresh snow (scrape snow from the top, without scooping all the way down to avoid picking up dirt)
1 cup of milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup of sugar

DIRECTIONS
Mix all ingredients and enjoy.  Will look like this: 


But remember when I said that I usually guess and check with this one?  I ended up with about 6 cups of snow so I added about a 1/2 cup of milk extra.  That's simple.  

The thing to be sure of though, is to add the sugar slowly and to taste test.  I like sweets, I put in just a pinch more.  But depending on how you like sweets, you may want more or less.  

And finally, if you've got girl scout cookies, this is the perfect snack to pair with Thin Mints.


The bright side of snow days, right?  I guess I can't be too mad about the pretty backyard views either...



Did you have a snow day?  Do you like to play outside in the snow or stay inside in the warm?


11 comments:

  1. We've gotten quite a bit of snow where I live this year but I haven't made this yet! It looks so good and with Thin Mints? Yummmmm :)

    Ivy xx
    Style Life Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just brought me back to my childhood with the snow cream! We rarely get snow here in GA but we had two inches this week and I wish I would have saw your post when it was still here lol. I'll have to remember this in three to five years when it happens again here. Following from Fantastic Friday Link up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, so cool! I've always lived in snowy locations and have never heard of this recipe before! How fun is this snow cream, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm hopping over from That Friday Blog Hop. We got almost the entire week off due to snow. I wish I had remembered the ingredients for snow cream as our little man has never had it before. I must save this for next time... which may be next week... ouch

    www.familyisenough.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got snow here in NC this week as well so I made snow cream also...My recipe is slightly different than yours, I love to see how others make theirs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember making snow cream when I was younger! We have enough snow to make hundreds of gallons of snow cream haha. Your snow looks so pretty outside in your yard. I wish we only had that much...we probably have around 20+ inches in our backyard and I'm sick of it. I'll be spending the weekend inside staying warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally a good use for snow!! Thanks. We are getting 10 inches of fresh stuff today. From yard to table. That will be the slogan for my snow cream restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made snow cream in years but this is inspiring me to try it again! Next time we have a big snow (which will probably be just around the corner with the way this winter has been going...) I will follow your recipe. :)

    xo Always, Abby

    ReplyDelete
  9. It rarely snows where I live and I meant and meant and meant to try this! It looks SO SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, I have wanted to try snow cream since I read about Laura Ingalls making it in the Little House on the Prairie books growing up, but alas, this Texan hasn't had much of an opportunity...Looks delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cool! I will definitely be trying this tomorrow (we're supposed to get 18 inches over night!)

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)