Monday, February 3, 2014

How to clean the stove vent filter

A few months ago, I mentioned that we were on a little deep cleaning spree here at the Thrift for Today house.  That is, besides all the regular chores, we're making extra efforts to get into all the nooks and crannies around here and really deep clean our home.

Today, I'm sharing about that pesky stove hood vent filter.  You know the one that covers the fan?  The one you probably don't often look at since it's under the hood? The one that if you cook steaks on the stove top 1 too many times can start to look like this:


Oh yeah...that.  I'll be honest.  These posts are gross.  I am almost embarrassed to even share that picture because of how gross it is.  But it is what it is, and cleaning it was so simple.  So, if you're filter is looking a little bit less than beautiful, the good news is, you've probably already got the ingredients for cleaning right in your pantry?

That's a pretty sweet reflection in that pot, huh?
A large stockpot, water, and baking soda.  That's it!  I originally searched for ideas for this cleaning project via Google, and when I saw a similar post by One Good Thing By Jillee, I knew that would be the one I used.  I also used tips from her blog and others when cleaning our pillows so I was confident in her solution.  (If you haven't already checked out her blog, you should!)

This could not have been more simple.  First, I grabbed the largest stock pot that we had on hand and filled it about 2/3 with water which I then brought to a boil.  

Once the water was boiling, I added 1/2 cup of baking soda slowly since it fizzes up immediately upon touching the water (dies down quickly, too, but the initial fizz is something else...)  



 Once all the baking soda was in the pot, I added the filter.  Immediately, I could see the grease cooking off of it.  Gross and great at the same time.  I set the oven timer for 5 minutes and then used tongs to pick up the filter and flip it around.


And after 5 minutes on the opposite side, I took the filter out and rinsed in the sink under hot water.  I used a rag to wipe down the edges.  

This is what the water looked like when it stopped boiling.  Di-sgus-ting.  


On the bright side though, at least it's clean right?  I dumped the water right out in the back of the back yard since I didn't want all that grease going down the drain.  

And viola!  The before and after:


So crazy to me how such a yucky thing can be cleaned so easily!  Huge thanks to Jill for the tips!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a difference! To be completely honest, I've never looked at the vent filter above our stove...but I'm pretty sure it will be gross when I look at it tonight! I'm working on doing a lot in our kitchen, and I just added cleaning the stove vent filter to the list! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of those jobs that slip the mind so when you finally do get around to it it's pretty gross. At least the cleaning technique is pretty easy,

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're featured this week on Share Your Stuff Tuesday! I'm thinking this technique is better than the ammonia method. Definitely less stinky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried it with boiling water before, but I haven't added baking soda. This will be my weekend project. Visiting from SoMe2 linkup.

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)