Monday, February 17, 2014

Valentine's Day Re-cap

Happy Monday!  I hope everyone had a warm and cozy weekend!  I mentioned last week that the snow is just not my thing, so I have been counting down until Spring.

But, I was super pumped that Valentine's Day was on a Friday this year!  What a fun way to end the week!

Valentine's Day is really one of my favorite holidays (and really, February in general for hubs and I.  He asked me to be his Valentine in 2008, we went on our first date exactly 6 days later on Feb. 20 where we sat for 3 hours in an ice cream shop talking, and on Feb. 29...yes, leap day, he asked me to be his girlfriend.  So, this is a fun and celebratory month around here.

And while I love Valentine's Day, it's not something that we feel like we need to do something expensive for.  So, instead of going out to a fancy restaurant, I decided (somewhat last minute, I might add) to surprise hubs and bring the fancy to the casa.  I pulled out some of the votives, vases, and left over candles from our wedding, spread out some red silk rose petals, and viola!  It was basically like a five star restaurant.




Oh, and did I mention that we got super dressed up?  Well, we did.


Dinner was pretty simple - I baked pork chops (recipe to come), dinner rolls, and yellow corn.  Simple, but so delicious.  

Hubs knew I was cooking, and because he is awesome, he called on his way home to be sure I had everything I needed.  And so I asked for the one thing that most girls want on Valentine's day - chocolate.  But the kind I could dip some of our fruit in.  And of course, he got just the perfect thing (strawberries leftover from the week): 


So after dinner I made these sweet little treats and surprisingly, the bananas in chocolate were my favorites.  Very strange, because I have always loved chocolate covered strawberries.


Perfect night.  This was our 7th Valentine's together counting the time in 2008 when he first asked me to be his Valentine.  I've loved them all and look forward to all the others.


5 comments:

  1. Aw! What an awesome way to spend the evening, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful table setting with the candles and rose petals! I love that you both got dressed up for a fancy night in--what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think staying in and spending time together is one of the best ways to celebrate valentines day! I love that you even made it feel like you were at a fancy restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are so cute! I love your dress and the candle centerpiece display is so beautiful. I'm happy to see you had such a wonderful Valentine's Day! :)

    xo Always, Abby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from the Peacoats and Plaid blog hop. I'm a new follower here and I love what you did for Valentine's day. The candles on the table turned out beautiful. This year (which was our 21st Valentine's together) we decided to do a cheap dinner and then bought something we needed for each other (new shoes). We usually don't give each other gifts, so this was something fun and different (and needed).


    Rachelle S.
    www.stitchesbyrachelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)