Monday, April 14, 2014

Chocolate cake icing

If you've been around here for any length of time, you should know that I like chocolate.  I really like chocolate.

And so the other weekend when I just needed wanted to make a quick, easy, not a big mess treat, I began to look all over town aka Pinterest  for homemade chocolate icing.  I already had an extra box of cake mix left over from the coffee cake I made earlier this year, but wanted to add something special to it.  And so I made cupcakes with homemade icing.

I knew there was butter, milk, powdered sugar, and cocoa required, all of which I had on hand...so I basically searched for a simple recipe that used all those things.

I was inspired by this recipe by Lauren's Latest, and made a few minor adjustments.  Another win.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup of butter, softened
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
5 cups of powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla (because I also really like vanilla)
5 tablespoons of milk (you can use more or less to get your desired consistency)

DIRECTIONS
Mix together butter and cocoa together in large bowl until smooth (do not proceed to lick the cocoa spoon before dropping it in the sink.  It's bitter...promise...)
Stir in vanilla and powdered sugar.  (I recommend stirring in powdered sugar a cup at a time to make mixing easier)
Slowly add in milk and mix well until you reach the desired consistency.  


This recipe should ice 24 cupcakes.  I ended up having some left over though, which I stuck in the fridge and proceeded to snack on for the rest of the week.  It tasted so reminiscent of fudge at Christmas.  

And let's be honest.  I only really made the cupcakes for the icing anyway...

:)

Happy Monday, friends!!



3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I just want a big bowl of it! LOL :)

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great way to make your own icing! Stop on by and share with us on Five Friday Finds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much in entering my Party last Friday! Can't wait to see what other delicious recipe you will enter my next party, which is in a few weeks.. thanks maria your Host!

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)