Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Chocolate chocolate chip banana bread

First of all, this bread is delicious.  So delicious that the pictures I took as I hurried through the baking process just don't do it justice.   

You see, I needed a treat to take to my parents' house for Father's Day and so I made this chocolate chocolate chip banana bread.  And it was so yummy that I knew I had to share.  Except when I looked back at the photos, I realized that I didn't have a single one of the sliced bread.  Only the bread sitting nicely in it's little loaf pan.  


This was a pretty big pinterest success.  I used the original recipe by Money Saving Mom and followed her recipe almost to the letter.  (By the way, she says this is freezer friendly, so if you'd like to make it now for later...you have my recommendation.)

INGREDIENTS
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate, but you can use semi-sweet or dark depending on your preference.  I also actually misread this and DUMPED 1 1/2 cups into the bowl and then realized that definitely couldn't be right, so I after pulling off what I could, I ended up with about 3/4 cup of chocolate chips...not the worst thing to have happened.)

 3 ripe bananas

I only had 2 bananas left by the weekend, but they were pretty big, so I used them and the recipe worked fine.  But, if you want a rich banana taste, you should have 3.  

My version of mashed bananas..super easy with a fork if they are fully ripe. 


DIRECTIONS
Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Stir in the mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla.  (You can mix these separately as well, but seeing as I used such a tiny bowl to mash the bananas, I just dumped it all in.)  Mix until evenly combined.
Mix in the chocolate chips...1/2 cup, NOT 1 1/2 cup...just as a reminder.  :)
Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 65 minutes.  Mine took a full 65 minutes. 
Bread is done when toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.  
This got rave reviews on Father's Day, so I definitely think I'll be making this in the future.  
For freezing tips, be sure to visit Money Saving Mom!  

2 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks SO good! Can't wait to try it! thanks for sharing.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy! I must make it soon! xo

    creamteaandrosejam.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)