Monday, July 7, 2014

Nilla Wafers Banana Pudding

How was your fourth of July celebration?!  We had a real blast over here with friends, neighbors, and family! I'm working on those photos soon to share with y'all here on the old blog.  

Today, though, I'm sharing a fun recipe that I tried for the first time recently - banana pudding with Nilla Wafers.  I don't think I used to like banana pudding, which at this point in my life seems like a very crazy thing.  


This is one of my all time favorite desserts these days, so when I had a bunch of bananas that were getting spotty, I immediately went to the store for some cookies and got to baking.  (Well, I first got to snacking on the cookies, but that's a whole different issue...)  

I used the recipe straight off of the box and altered it only slightly.  I'm sharing it below as is with my own adaptations noted.  

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup flour
1 dash of salt (to me, this means just a small amount.  I shook it into my hand to be sure how much I was adding)
3 eggs separated (see photo below)
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla (I used 1 tsp vanilla, because I like it)
45 Nilla Wafers (about 1/2 the box)
5 bananas sliced (I used 4 large bananas, but you can vary this)

I used 2 separate glass bowls to hold the egg yolks and whites separately
DIRECTIONS

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  
Custard
  • Using a double boiler, mix 1/2 cup of sugar, flour, and salt.  
  • Stir in egg yolks and milk. 
  • Cook, uncovered over boiling water for about 12 minutes.  You'll need to stir this often to keep it from sticking.  It will thicken into custard.  Once finished, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.  Spread small amount on the bottom of baking dish (I used an 8X8 square).  
  • Layer nilla waffer, bananas, and custard then repeat.  
Meringue
  • Pour egg whites into medium mixing bowl. 
  • Blend on high until soft peaks form.
  • Add in remaining sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.  
    • I totally underestimated the amount of time for this.  You'll want to make sure the egg whites are close to room temp and plan on about 10 minutes of beating time for it to stiffen well.  
  • Spread meringue over the custard sealing well along the edges
Bake for 20 minutes or until meringue is lightly brown.  



It's good warm and cold, friends.  The perfect treat.  And look at that meringue...not too shabby for a first attempt, huh?  

For more great recipes with Nilla Wafers, see here.  

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! My husband loves banana pudding with nilla wafers, so I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loveeeee banana pudding in this house, this will be perfect for entertaining too! Stopping by from the blog hop and happy to be your newest follower!

    tatteredtotaylored.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents love recipes like this!

    Thanks for joining the Link Up!

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)