Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Healthy eating - kale chips

A little bit of transparency here - I can be behind the curve sometimes when it comes to trends.  I feel that way about the hype surrounding kale.  

What even is this super food that everyone is going on and on about?!  Well, according to WebMD, kale is one of the healthiest veggies out there.  In fact, "One cup of chopped kale contains 33 calories and 9% of the daily value of calcium, 206% of vitamin A, 134% of vitamin C, and a whopping 684% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus" (source)


So, while we were at the grocery store the other day, I decided to grab a little bundle and try it out.  And I was pleasantly surprised.  Of course, I made chips with the leaves since that seemed the easiest way to try the kale.  


To make these crunchy little treats, I just removed the stems from the leaves and tore the leaves into medium-large pieces.  

Wash them thoroughly and dry them well to prevent them from being soggy. 

I used probably 1 Tbs of olive oil to massage into the leaves, then sprinkled on a small bit of salt and spread out evenly (read, in one single, not overlapping layer) on a baking sheet and cooked for about 20 minutes at 350.  


And I fully intend on grabbing another bunch of these on this week's grocery trip.  They were so yummy!  I also want to learn new ways to make and enjoy kale around our house, but for now, these kale chips are a good start, I think.  

Do you eat kale?  How do you like it best?  What kinds of leafy greens make an appearance in your diet?  

p.s. I also tried this recipe with spinach, but recommend cooking for a little less time since the spinach leaves are a lot more flat than kale.  Still good though.  :)

6 comments:

  1. A friend of mine made these once and they were really good. I need to try to make them myself. They would be such a great snack to have around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried Kale chips (I'm a bit scared, to be honest) but I have heard so many say they're really amazing. I really need to try them. We love chips but don't eat them too much because they're not healthy. This would be a wonderful alternative! I like the idea of spinach chips, as I know we all really like spinach. Must try this!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday! We'd love for you to share a link back to one of the hosts so your readers know where to find and share more amazing recipes like this one! Thanks so much, we hope to see you back next week with another awesome recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crunching chips when I watch tv in the evening, and I'm constantly looking for new ways to eat more vegetables, so definitely this recipe is perfect for me! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have never tried kale chips, though we sometimes use kale in salads and smoothies. i really need to try kale chips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to try kale chips! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I always thought it would be more complex to make them, but you make it sound easy. Can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on mine too. Great snack!

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)