Monday, August 11, 2014

Party food - healthy bean salsa dip

If there is one thing I love, it's party food.  I really love hosting people in our home and while I don't often throw elaborate, themed party events, we do have friends over often for games or small group, so I am always on the lookout for things to make quickly for get togethers.  

And of course, I've typically been one to whip up a dessert (usually in the form of brownies or cookies).  But, there are times when you need something a little more filling that chocolate and frankly, the more I work in an office (read, have less time to be as active as my young, college self), the more I find myself wanting to add more quick, filling, and healthier snacks to add to my go-to cookbook.  

Enter this yummy bean salsa.  


I've had this before, but it hadn't occurred to me to make it myself until we went to a potluck pool party on the 4th of July and a good friend of mine brought this.  So, of course, I texted her the following week to get her recipe.  Of course, I could look up similar things on Pinterest, and would be pretty quick to find a whole slew of good options, but this is the one I wanted, so I went straight to the source.  Only, this was one of those things that didn't come with a "recipe".  It was one of those, "I just throw x,y,z together..." kind of answers.  

Fine.  I took her ingredient list and this is how it turned out.  Delicious. 


INGREDIENTS
1 can black beans
1 can yellow corn
1 can garbanzo beans
1 large tomato, diced
1 large avocado, chopped
1/2 - 1 cup chopped cilantro (use fresh cilantro, please.)
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
(you can add a pinch of sugar, but I like it fine without and so I opted out of the extra sugar)

DIRECTIONS
You see above, that you should chop the tomato, cilantro and avocado well.  
Drain the canned beans and corn
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.  

Literally, that's it.  It is so easy.  So far, I've made this to take to a friend's get together and added it and fresh guacamole to taco night for our small group and it was a big hit.  

I don't see this leaving my recipe list anytime soon.   








12 comments:

  1. What a neat summer dip!

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I need to start making some healthier snack alternatives and this would be perfect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! It reminds me of one of my favorite mixed salads but I the addition of corn and chick peas is tasty! Thanks for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Thank you so much for sharing at the Twirl & Take a Bow Party! Great recipe.
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!!! That looks and sounds amazing!!! #bestandworst x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like my kind of salad! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love black bean salad, and I can't wait to try yours.
    My recipe is a little different, but they are all delicious.
    Happy TOHOT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Without a doubt, my husband and I would love this! Thank you for sharing at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Pinning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Mary, what a lovely idea to add garbanzo beans to this! I'd never have thought of it but I bet it's delicious! Thanks so much for linking up with us at You Link It We Make It. We hope to see you again! - Kim @ knockitoffkim.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary. Thank you so much for joining me at Thriving on Thursdays 2 weeks ago. (I didn't have internet connection last Thursday so couldn't host my party.) I'm just loving the look of this recipe and just wanted to let you know that I'm featuring it at tomorrow's party. Thanks again for joining me.

    Anne @ Domesblissity

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)