Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Color Block Canvas Painting

It's also been a while since I've had a craft night.  Hubs recently went on a camping trip with his college friends, so I just knew that this would be the perfect time to tackle a project I've been wanting to do - color blocked canvases.  

I was in luck, too, because Michael's was having a sale on canvases and I got these 2 18 x 20 canvases for just $6.99!  

Of course we have painter's tape already at home since we've been painting so much around the house since we moved in and I have an unhealthy amount of acrylic paint stored up from when I used to paint craft things way more often.  These were super easy and fun and I'm really happy with how they turned out. 

STEP 1: Use painter's tape to block out your design.  You'll want some shapes to be bigger and others smaller, with lines going in different directions.  BUT, there is certainly no specific pattern to follow.  
Just be careful to wrap the tape around to the back to keep clean lines on the sides of the canvas.  And, press the tape all the way down.  (I made a few mistakes on mine because of space between tape and canvas where I didn't press the tape down enough.)


STEP 2: PAINT!  I used a different foam brush for each color.  Lots of these colors had to be mixed with white paint to make them not so bright.  We're putting these in our bedroom and my in-laws beach condo.  We're hoping to totally revamp our bedroom there and I'm excited to have these to go on the wall!  

Anyway, because of that, I wanted the paintings to be bright and fun and I love blues and greens for the beach.  And yellow, of course, because blue and yellow make green, and because I wanted one hot color in there.  :)


STEP 3:  Once the paint dries (it might take 2 coats in each shape), pull up the painter's tape.  I love them so much.  You can see below some of the places where the lines aren't as crisp and clean.  These are the places where I failed to press the tape down enough.  Learn from my mistakes.  


They look kind of coastal, right?!  

And what a fun, frugal, craft!  I can't wait to take these to the beach!




3 comments:

  1. These are are so cute! I love the way they turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out great! Whenever I try something like that, the paint seeps through the painters tape and looks awful, but yours look close to perfect! I love the colors you chose as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun craft, my kids would have fun painting these, too! Thanks for sharing at On Display Thursday!
    -Leia @ Eat It & Say Yum

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)