Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Fried salmon patties

A good friend of mine - who is super healthy and eats mostly paleo - once told me about a recipe for salmon patties that she makes for her and her husband, so when I saw canned salmon in the grocery store the other week, I snagged a couple of cans and searched for a great recipe.  

I didn't end up going the paleo route, but I did find this recipe for salmon patties that used things I already had, so I decided to give it a try.  (I'm on a little trying new things spree, in case you were wondering.)



INGREDIENTS
2 cans pink or Alaskan salmon
2 eggs
½ cup breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons oil 

DIRECTIONS
Drain salmon and double check that there are no skin or bones
In a medium mixing bowl, mix salmon, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt & pepper
Spoon into patties, placing on wax paper (I got about 10 patties)
Heat oil in a skillet on medium high heat
Cook patties on each side in hot oil for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown


These actually ended up being really delicious.  I had a few of them hot right after cooking them and then the rest cold, leftover the next day at work and frankly, I liked them a little better leftover...strange.  


The next time I make these though, I will definitely use fresh, frozen salmon.  I'd never used canned salmon before and I really did not like the smell.  The patties tasted great, but I think the smell turned me off  a little at first.  I love to cook salmon at home though from frozen and never notice a strong, fishy smell.  

I feel pretty sure that I can grill some salmon fillets up, shred them, and use this same recipe.  

Apparently, these are a southern thing?  Anyone else grow up in the South and never have these before?  Or maybe it's just me...

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so easy and delicious! :)

    Thanks for joining the Link Up this week and Happy Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great Mary. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)