Monday, March 2, 2015

Sweet potato biscuits

Y'all.  It's March.  March.  This year is flying by.  And I am just doing a little happy dance for Spring that is coming around the corner.  Today, I'm sharing a fun little recipe that I tried recently for a treat that I love to see at parties - sweet potato biscuits.  

For this recipe, I adapted the original recipe HERE.  

INGREDIENTS
2 cups sweet potato puree
4 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp. light brown sugar
2 tbsp. plus 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold & cubed (I just cut the butter with a knife when it was fresh out of the fridge)
2/3 cup milk or cream (I used skim milk, but that's just because that's what we had in the fridge.)

DIRECTIONS
For the potatoes: I heated 4 small sweet potatoes in the microwave for about 5 minutes until they were soft, cut them and scooped the potatoes out of the skin.  I mixed them in a bowl with my stick blender until they were smooth.  (If you don't have a stick blender, get one.  It's so useful.)

Once you've pureed the potatoes, you'll want to preheat the over to 425. 

In a large bowl, add the flour, brown sugar & baking powder.  Mix well.  Add the cubed butter and cut into the flour mixture until it resembles course sand.  (there are proper tools for this, but I used my hands)

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the sweet potatoes and milk. Mix until reasonably combined.  It won't be perfect.  Knead with your hands until the dough comes together into one large ball.  
 Use your hands to mix the dough together just until it becomes one big ball of dough.
Roll out the dough to approximately 3/4 inch thick on a clean, floured surface.  Cut into 2 inch circles and place on parchment paper covered baking sheet.  (I used a jar lid that was less than 2 inches in diameter and shouldn't have.  If you end up cutting smaller biscuits, adjust the cooking time accordingly.  
Bake at 425 for 17-20 minutes.  The biscuits should be lightly golden.  Depending on the size of your biscuits, you'll want to check the bottoms to be sure they don't over cook.  

These are best warm with melted butter.  Just trust me on this.  They were so yummy to me out of the oven, but I wasn't crazy about the leftovers the next day.  Some of our Bible study friends ended up eating them the next day though and liked them, so maybe I'm just a warm biscuit snob.  (I also ended up with about 30 biscuits though...way too many for just one person.)

Regardless, they are definitely best fresh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)