Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The time our AC went out in the middle of the summer

Our air conditioning is broken.
Our air conditioning has been broken since last Monday.  
That's 10 days ago and I think the lowest high that we've had in those days has probably been 93.  It was 100 yesterday.  
Our house has been a nice 85-93 degrees.  
It is blazing hot in here. 

Good things happen to those who sweat. @Lorna Riojas Jane @Harriet Adkins Approach #lornajanespringclean
Source
And would you think I was crazy if I told you it was okay?  

Our neighbor has a window AC unit that we've installed in our master bedroom, which has actually been keeping the bedroom/master bathroom pretty nice and cool while the rest of the house is essentially sweltering.  

Is it ideal?  No.  But, to be honest, I think it's been a good lesson in patience and perspective.  

I'm learning to not take things like air conditioning for granted.  Everyone doesn't have central air, and how fortunate am I that this is not a regular state for our family in the summer time?  Perspective.

I'm learning that when a situation is beyond your control, it's better if you figure out the best way to deal with it rather than complaining.  Complaining makes you more aggravated and causes you to focus on the perceived problem and isn't that helpful in finding a solution.  Complaining make you less patient and less tolerant of your teammates.  Hubs and I make a really good team.  We were actually sitting on the couch just the other night surrounded by fans with all the windows open to let in the cool[er] night air and I just realized that just how thankful I am to do life with that man.  He's a good partner and we really make a good team.  There's no one else I'd rather be stuck in a hot house with than him.  Patience. 

I'm learning that outside isn't a bad place to hang out.  There's a breeze out there, HELLO!

I'm also reminded that we have an awesome group of friends and neighbors. We've got a borrowed window unit running nicely beside me now.  We've got lots of borrowed fans that pull in the morning and evening air when we get home from work.  And we've got extra places to stay if for some reason the window unit stops keeping the bedroom cool...or if we just wanted to go somewhere different.  

We're working with our warranty company and service providers to agree on the way forward. But essentially, the unit is original to the house and it's most likely going to have to be replaced.  And we hope that happens soon.  Then we will bask in the coolness of circulating air conditioning and probably not even know what to do with ourselves.  

Until then, I want to remember all of this.  We'll tuck this away in our mental memories bin and we'll smile when we think about that time our AC stopped working smack dab in the middle of summer. 

5 comments:

  1. Moving to upstate NY, we realized that no reasonably priced house has air conditioning, and for the first time in my life, I'm NOT spoiled! I sweat a LOT. I miss the AC, but being outside with the breeze has been a true Godsend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh – that is the worst! This happened to us two summers ago, only for a couple nights not as long as you but it was during a heat wave and it was absolutely awful so I feel your pain and SO hope you get it working soon! The situation is so much better with a positive attitude like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so feel your pain, dealing with the heat without an air conditioner is miserable. My husband and I moved to Savannah and the summer is unbearably hot and humid so air conditioners are a must. Our's broke down for several days and that had us sitting in front of an oscillating fan for the most part of the day.

    Lane Pemberton @ Metcalfe Heating & Air Conditioning

    ReplyDelete
  4. This very painful thing happened to me once. And it always seems to happen in the summer. I think we were having a heat wave that week and so everyone's was going out. It took six days for the repairman to make it to us. Thankfully, we had a pool that helped us to keep cool in the strong heat.

    Rosa Nelson @ HVAC Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family has witnessed the exact same situation you describe here. It certainly isn't fun to lose your air conditioning when you are trying to deal with a long, hot summer. Fortunately, we use an HVAC contractor that is professional, hard-working and fully accountable. With professionals like this on your side, you can confidently know that your air conditioning system won't be out for long when it goes down.

    Shayne Gustafson @ Berico Heating and Air

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)