Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Strawberry, orange, & almond salad

I don't know about you, but the warmer the weather gets, the more I am craving fruits and veggies, which is helpful since one of my new goals is to eat healthier these days.  Today I'm sharing a super simple and extra delicious salad that I have been eating way more than I expected.  I'm not tired of it yet, and I think it's a great salad for the summer.  It's also a great salad for any social event since it is so easy and I'm sure it would be a crowd-pleaser.  


Before you say anything, I'm eating it out of a mixing bowl because I've been eating it for lunch and not as a little side salad and I need some room for my greens!  :)


The "recipe" is below, but really, you should just have fun with it and use however much of the things you want.  Ahhh, the beauty of a good salad.  

Ingredients
4 strawberries, quartered (or cut into however big you want them)
1 small mandarin orange, peeled and separated
1 small handful of almonds 
3 handfuls of mixed greens salad
Raspberry vinaigrette dressing
*optional - add some avocado slices just for fun (and for some more healthy fats)

Directions
Mix everything and toss well. 
Eat up! 


I realize that this isn't an earth shattering recipe, but sometimes simple is just perfect.  I'd like to start sharing some of the simple meals that we eat around here in an effort to just give some easy, practical ideas for things that you could cook any day of the week.  My hope is that this would be helpful to readers who are working on meal plans for the week, but don't feel like you have the time to follow a new recipe after work and before errands for any given night, but still want to eat at home.  

I would also LOVE to know what is on your meal plans.  What are your go to meals that you don't have to think about to cook?  Please comment and let me know what you're cooking at home!

22 comments:

  1. Yum this sounds so good! I love almonds in salads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great salad. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy making and eating it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I'm not a fan of mixing my fruits with my veggies but you've made this sound worth trying! Almonds I'm okay with as they go in anything in our kitchen, but strawberries with lettuce... maybe with a sprinkling of black pepper :) Don't forget to post your links to Fiesta Friday so that everyone can see where you're sharing! :) Quick and easy meals - that would be lentil soup, stove top chickpeas with Indian style spices, marinated tofu in chili sauce or for the boys a cheesy or pesto pasta. Do you make lots of meals that need a recipe? What sorts of meals do you usually cook during the week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I am working on updating a link party page for the blog to share so that all the parties I link to will be posted in one place. I've definitely added Fiesta Friday to the list. It's a great party with lots of good links!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful and pretty salad! It sounds amazing and thank you so much for linking up at You Link It, We Make It. I'm pinning and hope to see you back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I really enjoy the party; I've stopped by today already!

      Delete
  5. Hi Mary Leigh. How lovely of you to join us at Thriving on Thursdays last week, here in Australia. Thank you so much for linking up this delicious recipe. It may not be warm enough for salads here at the moment but I'm definitely saving this one for summer. I'm featuring this one at tomorrow's party. Hope to see you again.

    Anne @ Domesblissity xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne! I really appreciate it! I am glad the weather is warming up here! You'll have to let me know if you make this in the summer time!

      Delete
  6. This salad is right up my alley!! YUM!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really interesting salad, I usually just have a normal one or sometimes mix it up with some chillies or feta. I will give this a try. Thanks for linking to #PickNMix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I enjoyed your #PickNMix party!

      Delete
  8. Awesome salad for summertime! Thanks for sharing at Funtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is great - especially when you can pick your own strawberries at local farms this time of year!

      Delete
  9. This looks like a delicious salad, Mary Leigh. Pinned and Tweeted. Thanks for partying with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and for sharing!

      Delete
  10. Sounds delicious! Thanks for linking up to #justanotherlinky xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I've added your link party to my link party page!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you had a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miz Helen! I really appreciate the feature!

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)