Thursday, May 19, 2016

Thrift Tip: Saving Money on Groceries with Ibotta

Now that I'm staying home full time (aka not earning a regular income), I have taken on a much larger role in our family in terms of looking for and implementing ways to save money around our house.  This goes for household supplies, family activities, etc.  A big part of that though is groceries.  We spend money on groceries every single week.  We plan all of our meals and try to keep an eye out for when things are on good deals so that we can stock up.

That said, I feel like I'm a little late to the grocery saving apps, but I'm sharing today in case some of you haven't tried it yet.  I've tried several, and I've really stuck with Ibotta.  It is super easy and user friendly.  It's a rebate app, which means that you create an account, link up your grocery store loyalty cards in some cases, shop like you normally would and then scan a photo (with your phone) to get $$ back. 


One of my favorite things about this app is that each week there are several "any brand" rebates that you can use for pantry staples like a dozen eggs, bananas (or other fruits), bread, milk, etc.  The any brand rebates are only about $0.25 each, but they can really add up.  I kind of think of it as "if I saw a quarter on the ground, would I pick it up?"  And for me, that answer is always yes.  


For name brand items, the rebates are often much more.  There isn't a limit (that I've found) to the number of rebates allowed to one person, so you really can use this as much or as little as you'd like.  It is really an awesome way to get some money back.  

My only caution here is that I think it can be nice if there are specialty items that you want to try that there might be rebates for, but it can be all too easy to buy items that you wouldn't otherwise purchase just because there is a rebate.  To me, this is like going to the grocery store without a list and while hungry.  I mostly stick to my regular list, but I have been known to make decisions about which fresh fruit to buy based on what I can get a rebate for since I am going to buy fresh fruit each week anyway.  Also you can get rebates on a number of other things besides just groceries (clothing, retail, etc.)  I only use it for groceries so far though.   

Do you have other savings/rebates apps that you use for the grocery store?  If yes, I would love to know what you've had success with!  I am always on the lookout for easy and convenient ways to be thrifty and save our family dollars and cents anytime I can.  

Finally, if you do not have Ibotta already, you can use my referral code here (code: eksrwyl), to sign up and get the app.  I would certainly appreciate it as it gives me a little bonus, but it gives you a bigger bonus after requesting your first rebate: $10 just for claiming a rebate.  To put it more simply, say you have an offer of $0.25 back for any brand of bananas.  You use my link to get the app, go to the grocery store and buy a bundle of bananas.  You get $0.25 back PLUS $10 just for signing up.  I don't know where else you'll get $10.25 back just for eating bananas.  I'm just saying.  

Don't miss these other easy thrift tips either:
Birthday Freebies

Saving Money with Swagbucks
Why We Cut Cable

10 comments:

  1. I've had success with MobiSave which deposits the money you save directly into your account - no minimum before you get paid. You have to be VERY careful about selecting your offers BEFORE you shop. You can NOT select them after like you can with Ibotta. I've also had success with Checkout51 but it is rather hit or miss on the usefulness of the offers. But, last week, all three apps (MobiSave, Checkout51 and Ibotta) had a rebate on onions!

    SavingStar is the only other one that I use. They usually have a weekly "healthy" offer of a fruit or vegetable plus a weekly freebie offer, last week it was Rolo candy and a few weeks ago it was Ortega Taco Seasoning. If you are careful about watching sales you can usually combine a sale, a coupon and a SavingStar rebate to get items for free or pretty darn cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I might have to try MobiSave, I've never heard of that one. I've looked at SavingStar, but haven't really gotten into it yet, but you make a really good point about combining sales, coupons, and rebates to really knock costs down on groceries. I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I need to try Ibotta! I also use Walmart Savings Catcher.

    Tif
    www.brightonabudget.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! I've really enjoyed it. We use Savings Catcher when we remember - but we really should use it more often. We shop at Wal-Mart often, so those points are really useful when we can turn them into store gift cards!

      Delete
  3. "My only caution here is that I think it can be nice if there are specialty items that you want to try that there might be rebates for, but it can be all too easy to buy items that you wouldn't otherwise purchase just because there is a rebate." <---I've totally done this with coupons before! We've tried new things just because we could make them (nearly) free. It wasted a tiny bit of money, but mostly a whole lot of time. Like how this is so much less time consuming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is so tempting to add extras sometimes!

      Delete
  4. I keep hearing so much about Ibotta but have never really looked in to you but is sounds like I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! It's a fun way for us to earn a little extra without taking much time!

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)