Wednesday, May 18, 2016

What I Wore: All Gap all the time and a little of life lately

Happy Wednesday, friends!  We were away this past weekend and got home later than we planned so our week has been non-stop.  I had every intention of taking lots of photos of our fun and family filled weekend (which was a treat since we just had a fun, family filled weekend with Mother's Day just a couple of weekends ago, too).    I even took an extra battery and just knew I would have time to get it up on the blog at least by Monday night.  But I didn't even take the camera out of my bag because we were just having too much fun.  So there's that. 




And then I was reading some old posts from way back when and I found this one that was fun to read even now and I thought I might write a similar post this week and since this is the post that I've got the photos for, this is the one.  There is a fine line over here on Thrift for Today that I feel like I'm constantly walking between wanting to share what's going on in our life, my own personal thoughts and stories and then tips, info, etc, that might be helpful to you readers.  (Love you, mean it).  So today is really just a bunch of thoughts about things that are going on interspersed with photos of one of my go-to outfits this spring.

1 - The Little is still having some trouble sleeping for long stretches at night and will not nap anywhere other than home (and almost only in the swing while moving - though the swing has stopped on its own a couple of times during nap and it hasn't woken him up yet and he took a little snooze on one of our walks recently.  I truly welcome any tips you have for nap training for the day.  I think that sleeping through the night will just have to come on its own and as crazy as it sounds, I'm not terribly worried because I haven't slept through the night since before he was born so I'm sure if he suddenly slept all night, I would be worried and waking my self up anyway.  But I could handle a gradual move in the longer sleep stretch direction.  Just putting that out there.  Naps though - I just don't know how to help with it.  So he's still in the swing.  Until it totally won't work anymore for him. 


2 - I'm still working on getting back into shape post-babe, so I try to watch what I eat - mostly just trying to eat a lot of healthy things rather than just focus on eating only a little bit of things.  I figure it's a balancing act and I'd rather not follow a diet that I can't sustain.  We've also been trying to go for a walk at least each weekday.  Last week was weird for us since hubs was on a business trip, but the week before that, I was able to take Little walking for just over 8 miles.  I realize it's just walking so I don't expect to be in a bikini this summer (but I didn't expect that anyway thank you, stretch marks) but I am hoping to continue to get healthier slowly but surely.  I do try to get to the gym some weekends when we don't have plans and hubs can stay with the Little.  There is a kids place at the gym, but I want to wait until he's mobile before taking the Little with me to the gym - so we opt for storytime at the library instead.  #momoutings

3 - And finally, the part you've been waiting for - this is one of my new favorite outfits these days.  The pants and top are Gap, but second hand from our local Clothes Mentor - which is one of my favorite places to shop for clothes since they carry ALL of my favorite brands and are way cheaper than the mall.  These orange (kind of red, but the tag definitely says orange) are Gap's Fall 2013 skinny ankle pants and I'm not sure which season officially the chambray is from.  But you better believe when I saw this top for less than $10, I scooped it right up.  It was on my list from the fall, and I have gotten so much wear out of it already.  You can expect to see it around here again, that's for sure.

The shoes are the same flats you always see me in over here from Target.  They're still favorites.  I love the fun colors of this outfit, but also how comfy and easy it is to put together and perfect for this time of year. 

I've got lots of new ideas and things to share over here in the days/weeks to come, although I don't have it perfectly planned out in terms of scheduling - so you'll have to bear with me, but I do hope you'll stick around.  Lots of fun ahead.

p.s.  Did you notice that the Link Party page is active again?  I've been working to get it updated with lots of fun parties around blog land and I hope that it will serve as a resource to you to link up your own posts, find other awesome blogs and ideas, and also to know where I'm linking up each week over here.  

11 comments:

  1. I love Clothes Mentor and I love a good GAP outfit! Too cute! Thanks so much for linking to Waiting On...Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for hosting the link up!

      Delete
  2. I as tossing up myself whether the pants were red or orange but I guess you have to go with the tag right? ... I was leaning to red but whatever you know we'll go with the tag lol Either way they are fabulous! I would love you to pop by my blog and add a link if you get a chance http://sydneyfashionhunter.com/2016/05/custom-made-prada-pumps-fff33.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! They do look red to me almost always but the tag definitely says orange. I can't decide, but I figure I'll share what the "experts" say. :)

      Delete
  3. Very cute outfit! And you are right, no matter when the kids sleep through the night, I don't think we moms ever sleep again! If the swing is working for nap time, stick with it! And if you can grab a nap for yourself while babe is swinging, do it! In fact, my two are 3 and 5 and have not napped for a very long time. And they both have been sleeping through the night for a very long time. Yet, I am in a perpetual state of tired! So, after I type this comment, I am giving the children ipads and having a quick snooze on the couch! And I am doing all of these things without shame! It is necessary! We do what we can to get everyone through the day! You got this, momma! You are a superhero!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelbee - thank you for your encouraging words! I try to squeeze in rest when I can! It's incredible to me though, how our bodies adjust to this new normal! I hope you had a great weekend. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I am Ada. I am glad I found your blog Mary Leigh as you are another stylish mom on the budget. =) Love Gap. Red and blue denim is always a winner as is GAP. Nice outfit!

    I run a style linkup on Thursdays. I would love for you to join me and linkup this outfit and any latest style posts. Thanks, Ada. =) So welcome by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Ada! I will definitely stop by your site this week! I do love GAP and I especially love it at low prices!

      Delete
  5. Super blog read, so funny to read about your little one sleeping on your swing, because having my grandaughter with me today she too fell asleep in her new swing (see my blog up today)! It must be so peaceful for them, wish I could do this sometimes. Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! The swing is so wonderful for them - until they won't sleep anywhere else! A grown-up version certainly would be nice; you're right!

      Delete
  6. A neutral flat with a denim/chambray shirt and bright slacks is one of my favorite looks!

    ReplyDelete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)