Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Kind words are like honey

I was in a coffee shop recently and overheard a lady say to the cashier, “I'm back with my complicated drink order that you always mess up.” At first I thought it must be a joke.  Maybe she knew the cashier and was kidding around.  I quickly realized that it wasn't though and when she left all of the baristas began to share stories of trying to avoid this customer and of her frequent complaints. Now, I did not hear the actual drink order so I have no idea how difficult it actually was.  Nor do I know how badly it was messed up that day or any of the previous days.  It is quite possible that it was a frequent thing and I'm sure if the lady is paying for her coffee, she wants it to taste the way she likes it.  Finally, she didn't use a rude tone of voice and didn't leave angry.  But it was clear when she left that her words had been noticed by the employees and they certainly didn't make them feel valued or appreciated.




And I thought how many times do I do this same thing?  How many times do I make small remarks (even sometimes jokingly) that belittle or criticize those around me?  One example sticks out vividly in my mind.  


It's the dishes. I don't like washing the dishes and it seems like they are never done and I'm always finding the straggling snack cup just after I've let all the water out an dried my hands.  Do you know who else doesn't love doing the dishes?  Hubs.  And so one night, he offered to do them as he does from time to time (especially when they are really piled up).  It was a Friday night and when he came upstairs to bed I asked if they were done.  He said that they weren't and before he continued that he was planning to do them in the morning, I blurted out, "Oh, I figured they weren't."  

Ouch.   

He wasn't angry, but I could tell that it stung a little bit and frankly, it just wasn't a nice thing to say.  How I could have appreciated him more had I been gracious enough to 1) let him finish what he was going to say; 2) trust that he would do what he said; and 3) been thankful that he was serving me even if it wasn't right away.  

The point of the whole thing is that our words are important.  The bible has a lot to say about kind words.  

"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29

"Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." Colassians 4:6

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock & my redeemer." Psalm 19:14

"The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Proverbs 12:18

Our words can build up or tear down.  We choose to speak life or death to others with the words that we use.  How easy it is to jokingly tear someone down, complain about things that aren't going our way.  And how often we tear down without even realizing it?  It's like the words just spill out and we don't even consider their impact.  

Oh, be careful little mouth what you say.  I'd like to encourage all of us today to pay attention to the words that we say.  To speak with grace and patience and understanding.  We all have a choice to make with the words that we use.  Let's do more building up.    

6 comments:

  1. Yes! I strive to use my words to build others up, not tear them down! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a good reminder for me!

      Delete
  2. This is such important truth!! Thank you for this reminder. Our words are so powerful, and we often don't even notice the subtle ways they can tear down instead of build up if we're not careful of them. Love your honesty and your heart! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are. And it is just the worst when you don't use them carefully and realize immediately that they were sharper than you intended - they can hurt! This was a good reminder for me as well!

      Delete
  3. Words can majorly impact our lives, just a few words can change the way we feel instantly! This is such a lovely post! Thanks for sharing :)

    findyourownhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! Thank you for stopping by, Susie!

      Delete

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)