Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Spinach and Egg Muffins - Healthy, Make Ahead Breakfast for On the Go

I originally posted this recipe back in 2015 when Little was just 2 months old and I was beginning to think more about getting back into shape and eating well.  Some friends brought these over to us to have for breakfast and I really enjoyed them. 

But, because Little was so, well, little getting the recipe on the blog period was just a huge success and the only picture I had was one little photo of the eggs in the muffin pan pre-cooking.  It is what it is.  I'm re-posting this recipe today though because I've started making these again - but with a little update that I think makes it a lot easier: using a food processor to chop up the spinach first.  So, if you are looking for an easy and nutritious breakfast that you can make ahead and eat on the go (or not), this is for you. 

Look at that lovely chopped spinach!  I used my Ninja food processor, but any regular food processor should work.

Another thing I love about these are that you can store them in the fridge and eat them all week long. Just re-heat in the microwave for about 45 seconds and you're good to go.  You can also wrap them individually and freeze them if you want to make an extra large batch. 




Ingredients
  • 10 large egg - this will make a dozen muffins
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 lb ground sausage (you could also do less, but I just cook the whole roll) 
  • 1/2 bell pepper, optional
  • 4 cups uncooked spinach (this is an estimate, I really just get a big hand full)
  • Just a little cheese
  • Black pepper to taste
 
 *You can also add any other ingredients that you would cook in an omelette for example - maybe sub the sausage for ham or bacon - add some mushrooms, cooked onions, etc.  There are so many options!

Note - the muffins pictured here are just spinach, milk, cheese, and eggs.  I didn't add any meat to these.
 
Directions
  • Pre-heat oven to 350 and grease muffin tin
  • Cook sausage on stove top.  Once cooked thoroughly, drain.  Don't put all that grease in your egg muffins.  
  • Using a food processor, chop spinach into small pieces
  • Chop pepper into small pieces
  • In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.  
  • Add other ingredients and mix well.  
  • Use a ladle to fill muffin tin with mixture and sprinkle with just a little cheese.  
  • Cook for 20-25 minutes until the center of the muffins are not liquid.  (You'll be able to tell that the center is not too squishy or jiggly - this means the egg is cooked through)  I usually leave them in for about 23 minutes.  


I didn't cook the spinach in these muffins before mixing like I did in the original recipe and I don't notice a real difference.  I feel like it saves a little time to just toss it in the Ninja and go rather than cooking it ahead.  That said, for some reason, no matter how well I mix it, the spinach always seems to rise to the top while baking.  It's also possible that I just use a lot of spinach in these and that's why they're so green.  (As a complete side note, I think these would be GREAT treats for a green eggs and ham themed breakfast or brunch!)

They taste great though.  It can be hard to get breakfast on the table in the morning and I love being able to have these ready so quickly in the morning.  I love even more knowing that I'm starting my day out in a healthy way. 


Do you have any make ahead breakfast recipes?  How do you make sure to get a nutritious breakfast in each day? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't worry if your comment doesn't appear right away. They're all moderated which helps make sure I don't miss all the nice things you have to say! I respond to comments via email, so be sure that you're not a no-reply blogger so we can be in touch!
:)